Holy Cross Field House
The Holy Cross Field House is the home off the athletic department's main offices. The offices of many of the department's head and assistant coaches are also located in the building.
Plans are in place for the Field House to be renovated soon. It will become a top-flight recreation and wellness complex for the entire campus community, featuring basketball courts, multiple exercise studios, weight training rooms, new shower and locker space and centers for a wide assortment of health, wellness and fitness programming.
The Field House is the former home of the volleyball team before the Crusaders moved their home matches to the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex in 2015. Along with being able to facilitate volleyball courts, the gym in the Field House currently features three full basketball courts, an indoor track, wireless internet, locker rooms, an erg room for rowing and a conference room.
In 1947, when postwar federal regulations prevented the construction of a gymnasium on campus, Holy Cross officials secured the building for the Field House from Camp Endicott in Rhode Island. Fr. Healy, the president of Holy Cross, learned in January of 1947 from the federal Public Works Agency that the Government would make the hangar available to the College, and pay to transport it to Holy Cross and reconstruct it on the campus. The College paid for the site preparation. The project was announced in April of 1947, and the Field House opened in March of 1948.
In addition to housing indoor recreation and intramural athletics, the versatile structure became the site of commencements, dances, public lectures and other large group events. The Field House received a brick facade in 1955 and was renovated in 1992.