Baseball Adds Doubleheader Against Wagner For Saturday
|Holy Cross (2-10) vs. Wagner (1-9)|
|Washington, D.C. // St. Albans School|
|DATE||TIME (ET)||VIDEO||LIVE STATS|
|Saturday, March 18||12:00 PM||N/A||N/A|
|Saturday, March 18||3:00 PM||N/A||N/A|
The Holy Cross baseball team is set to continue its season on Saturday, March 18, as the Crusaders take on Wagner in Washington, D.C. at St. Albans School beginning at 12:00 p.m.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS:
- The Crusaders enter Saturday’s doubleheader with a 2-10 overall record.
- Last Saturday, Holy Cross defeated Southern California by a score of 6-4 for their first win over the Trojans since the 1958 College World Series. To read the recap, click here.
- Holy Cross was selected first in this year’s Patriot League Preseason Poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors. To read the press release, click here.
- Freshman Austin Masel currently leads the Crusaders with a .340 batting average on the season, and seven runs scored. He also leads the Crusaders with seven multiple-hit games on the year.
- Senior George Capen earned both wins on the mound for the Crusaders this past week, earning him Patriot League Pitcher of the Week honors for the first time in his career. He currently leads Holy Cross with a 1.46 ERA through 12.1 innings pitched in relief.
- Senior Anthony Critelli led the Crusaders in RBIs with 41 and tied for the team-lead with nine home runs last season. He posted a .267 batting average and a .462 slugging percentage for the year. On the defensive side of the ball, Critelli held a .996 fielding percentage on the year.
- Senior Brendan King is the Crusaders’ top returning starting pitcher, who posted a 7-2 record in 13 appearances during the 2016 season. Last year, he tossed a team-leading 74 strikeouts through 82.1 innings pitched, which included three complete games.
- Senior Bill Schlich led Holy Cross with a .313 batting average and a .478 slugging percentage in 2016. He also tallied a team-high 19 extra-base hits with 17 doubles and a pair of triples while scoring 27 runs on the year.
- The Crusaders return 24 players from last year’s roster, and welcome nine freshmen to the squad.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo enters his 10th season with the program.
RECENT SCHEDULE UPDATES:
- The Crusaders’ home game against Boston College, originally scheduled for March 14, has been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 4 at Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field at 4:35 p.m.
- Holy Cross’ game against Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 21 will now be played at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass. beginning at 6:45 p.m.
SCOUTING THE SEAHAWKS:
- Wagner is currently 1-9 on the season, having most recently gone 0-3 in a three-game series at Delaware.
- Kyle Cala leads the Seahawks offense, batting .357 on the season while leading the team with 10 runs scored and ranking second with 7 RBIs.
- Danny Marsh is 1-0 on the year after two starts on the mound for Wagner, and has posted an ERA of 0.90 in 10 innings pitched with 10 strikeouts.
- Last season, Wagner went 19-33 with a 13-19 mark in the NEC.
- Head coach Jim Carone is in his sixth season with the Seahawks.