Men's Hockey Ready For Two Games With Air Force
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross men’s hockey team will welcome reigning Atlantic Hockey Tournament champions to the Hart Center for a two game series on Nov. 10-11 at 7:05 p.m.
• In the Nov. 3 game at Robert Morris, the Crusaders scored five goals for the third time in their eight games played in 2017.
• Michael Laffin recorded his first multi-point game on Nov. 3 (2-1-3). His second goal of the game came on the power play and served as the game-tying goal, his second of the season.
• Scott Pooley has recorded five power play points (4-1-5). At the start of the season, the senior forward had recorded four career power play points.
• With 18 blocks, Johnny Coughlin leads the Crusaders and ranks third in Atlantic Hockey.
• Pooley ranks second nationally in goals per game (1.00) after he scored eight goals in five games.
• Holy Cross and Air Force have tied 12 times in their all-time series. Nine of those ties happened in Worcester.
• Frank Boie scored his first collegiate goal on Nov. 3 at Robert Morris. He is the third newcomer to have scored his first collegiate tally.
• Holy Cross remains unbeaten at the Hart Center, skating to a 3-0-2 record at home this season.
• The senior class has accounted for 57% of the Crusaders offense this season, scoring 15 of the team’s 26 goals.
Scouting The Falcons
• The Falcons come to Worcester with a 5-4-1 overall record and 1-3-0 record in Atlantic Hockey play.
• The Falcons captured the Atlantic Hockey Tournament championship in 2017 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals.
• Air Force has claimed wins over Alaska (Oct. 6), Arizona State (Oct. 13-14), Bemidji State (Oct. 21) and Canisius (Oct. 27).
• Air Force were most recently swept by Army on Nov. 3-4. The Falcons fell 3-2 on Friday and 2-0 on Saturday.
• To open the weekend, Air Force holds a 14.6% conversion rate on the power play and a 81.8% success rate on the penalty kill.
• On the road, Air Force is 3-2-1.
Falcons to Watch
• Matt Koch leads the Falcons with seven points on three goals and four assists.
• Matt Serratore has played just six of the Falcons’ 10 games and has collected four goals and two assists.
• Erik Baskin has recorded two power play goals, the most of the Falcons.
• Billy Christopulos has played 99.0% of time in goal for Air Force. He has made 243 saves for a .917 save percentage and a 2.20 goals against average.
Pooley On A Roll
• The senior forward leads the team and the league in goals (8).
• Pooley recorded a six-game point streak for 10 points and a five-game scoring streak for eight goals.
• He has added five power play points (4-1-5), a league and team high.
• Nationally, Pooley ranks second in goals per game (1.17) and is tied for third in power play goals (4).
Holy Cross and Atlantic Hockey
• The Crusaders average 3.17 goals per game ranks the third highest in the league and their 2.88 goals against ranks fourth.
• Michael Laffin ranks third in plus minus at of +5.
• Ferguson holds the third highest spot in freshman scoring (1-5-6).
The Last Time Against Air Force
• In the 2016-17 series, the Crusaders tied and defeated the Falcons on Dec. 2 and 3.
• All 11 points recorded in the series were tallied by returners. Charlie Barrow and Danny Lopez led the way with one goal and one assist each on the weekend and Spencer Trapp added two assists.
•T.J. Moore, Peter Crinella, Mitch Collett also tallied goals.
Recapping Last Weekend
• Holy Cross traded the lead with Robert Morris on Nov. 3 and ended in a 5-5 tie. The five goal game is the third for the Crusaders in 2017.
• The Crusaders were shutout for the first time in the 2017-18 season. The Colonials were also the last team to keep the Crusaders off the board, blanking the team on Jan. 28, 2017.
• The Crusaders were picked sixth in the Atlantic Hockey Preseason Coaches poll with 58 points.
• Holy Cross finished the 2016-17 season in fifth place in the league (11-10-7) and with an overall record of 14-15-7. The team finished in fourth among the league in scoring, averaging 2.75 goals per game.
• The Crusaders will travel to Army for a two game series on Nov. 17-18 at 7:05 p.m. in West Point, N.Y. The Black Knights received votes in both national polls as of Nov. 6.
• Follow the Holy Cross men’s hockey team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here.