Volleyball Tallies 3-1 Win At Army In Patriot League Opener
• Score: Holy Cross 3, Army 1 (25-22, 25-19, 21-25, 25-18)
• Records: Holy Cross (1-7, 1-0 Patriot League); Army (3-8, 0-1 Patriot League)
• Location: West Point, N.Y. (Gillis Field House)
• Date: Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014
• Time: 11:00 a.m.
• The Lead: Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) tallied a double-double with 16 kills and 10 digs, while sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) also posted a double-double with 33 assists and 11 digs as the Holy Cross volleyball team defeated Army, 3-1, on Saturday at Gillis Field House in the Patriot League season-opener at the Army Invitational by scores of 25-22, 25-19, 21-25, 25-18. This is Holy Cross' first win over Army since a 3-2 victory on Nov. 12, 2005 in Worcester, Mass., as the Black Knights had won 16 straight matches versus the Crusaders entering today's contest.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) tallied 13 kills for the Crusaders, while freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) posted a career-best eight blocks. Sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) led the Crusaders with 18 digs. Oliver also posted six blocks.
• Army was led by Vanessa Edwards who tallied a double-double with 41 assists and 10 digs, while Amber Clay posted 11 kills.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• This win for the Crusaders is their first versus the Black Knights since a 3-2 win in Worcester on Nov. 12, 2005. Army had won 16 consecutive matches versus Holy Cross entering today.
• The Crusaders' 15.0 team blocks were their most since posting 17.0 in a 3-1 win at Lafayette on Oct. 23, 2010.
• Mullen's eight blocks were the most by a Crusader in at least 10 years.
• Sifferlen's double-double was her third of the season and the fourth of her career.
• McKernan's double-double was her second of the season and the 10th of her career.
• Oliver's six blocks were a career best.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• With the first set tied at 21-21, the Crusaders then won four of the next five points to earn a 25-22 win as Oliver recorded a service ace on set point. Sifferlen led the Crusaders with six kills.
• The Crusaders then took a 2-0 lead in the match by winning the second set, 25-19. With Holy Cross leading 20-18, the Crusaders took five of the next six points for the victory. Oliver tallied five kills for the Crusaders.
• The Black Knights took the third set by a 25-21 score as Carolyn Bockrath posted a kill on set point. Clay led Army with six kills.
• With the fourth set tied at 16-16, Holy Cross won nine of the last 11 points to clinch the match with a 25-18 victory. Oliver led the Crusaders with six kills.
• The Crusaders continue play in the Army Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 13, when they take on Oakland at 5:00 p.m. The Crusaders will wrap up the tournament on Sunday, Sept. 14 at 11:00 a.m. versus Binghamton.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.