Volleyball Defeated By Bryant, 3-2
Score: Bryant 3, Holy Cross 2 (25-18, 21-25, 25-17, 22-25, 15-10)
Records: Holy Cross (6-16, 5-6 Patriot League); Bryant (9-19, 4-4 NEC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Holy Cross Field House)
Date: Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2014
Time: 7:05 p.m.
The Lead: Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) tallied her fifth triple-double of the season with 11 kills, 34 assists and a career-best 21 digs but the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to Bryant, 3-2, at the Holy Cross Field House on Tuesday night. Sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) posted 29 digs giving her 442 for the season tying her with Angela Chisholm for the school record. Chisholm set the record in 2010. Also tonight, the Crusaders held their third annual Professor Appreciation Night. Each member of the team invited a professor to attend the match. The team implemented this tradition in order to recognize the superior work of these educators in forming connections with their students.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Along with her triple-double, McKernan led the team with a .345 attack percentage. Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) led the Crusaders with 13 kills, while she also secured 12 digs for a double-double. Popp led the team with 29 digs, while freshman M.C. Magner (Northfield, Ill.) posted 13 digs and senior Julia Gould (Ridgewood, N.J.) tallied 10 digs.
- Three Bulldogs posted double-doubles as Natascha Scarff tallied 20 kills and 12 digs, Vika Nesterov recorded 52 assists and 16 digs, and Elena Lohr had 12 kills and 24 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- McKernan now has five triple-doubles this season as her 21 digs were a career best.
- Sifferlen posted her seventh double of the season and the eighth of her career.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With Bryant leading the first set, 18-17, the Bulldogs then won seven of the last eight points for the 25-18 first-set victory. Senior Dana Weston (Canton, Mass.) led the Crusaders with three kills.
- The Crusaders concluded the second set with a kill by junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) to give Holy Cross a 24-21 lead and then blocks by senior Kamele Shizuru (Kailua, Hawaii) and sophomore Natalie Welsch (Eden Prairie, Minn.) clinched the 25-21 second-set win. Oliver had six kills for the set and McKernan recorded five kills and a .714 attack percentage.
- Bryant won the third set by a 25-17 score. Sifferlen led the Crusaders for the set with four kills.
- Trailing the fourth set 22-20, Holy Cross then won six straight points to force a fifth set with a 25-22 victory. Sifferlen led the team with five kills.
- With Bryant leading the fifth set, 13-10, a kill by Maya Miosga gave the Bulldogs a match point. Then a kill by Sara DePouw clinched the match as Bryant took the set, 15-10.
- The Crusaders return to action on Saturday, Nov. 1, when they travel to Hamilton, N.Y., to take on Colgate at 4:00 p.m.
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.