Volleyball Falls To American, 3-0
• Score: American 3, Holy Cross 0 (25-14, 25-12, 25-14)
• Records: Holy Cross (4-12, 3-3 Patriot League); American (12-4, 3-0 Patriot League)
• Location: Worcester, Mass. (Field House)
• Date: Saturday, Oct. 4, 2014
• Time: 4:05 p.m.
• The Lead: Allison Cappellino posted a double-double for the Eagles as the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to American, 3-0, on Saturday afternoon at the Holy Cross Field House in Patriot League action by scores of 25-14, 25-12 and 25-14. The Crusaders also held a "Pink For A Purpose Match" today as the team is raising money for PINK Revolution. To make a donation go to https://www.firstgiving.com/ummf/pink-for-a-purpose-2014.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) and junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) each tallied six kills, while sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) posted 19 assists. Sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) totaled 19 digs.
• Cappellino posted 12 kills and 13 digs, while Kelly McCaddin tallied 12 kills. Monika Smidova totaled 36 assists and Megan Rosburg secured 15 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• American won the first set by a 25-14 score as McCaddin posted four kills for the set. Senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) led the Crusaders with three kills.
• The Eagles took the second set, 25-12. McCaddin recorded a 1.000 hitting percentage with six kills on six attempts.
•American clinched the match with a 25-14 third-set victory. Cappellino led the Eagles with five kills.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Friday, Oct. 10, when they travel to Easton, Pa., to take on Patriot League opponent Lafayette at 5:00 p.m.
BEHIND THE SHIELD:
• The Holy Cross volleyball team was a part of an amazing weekend as it hosted a Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Match on Sept 26, defeating Colgate in a five-set thriller, while the Crusaders then participated in the Walk To Cure Diabetes on Sept. 28. Check out this all-access video of the match and the walk, featuring Alicia Swearingen who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when she was 13 and has successfully managed the disease as a Division I student-athlete.
Go here for the direct link to the video.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.