Volleyball Sweeps Loyola (Md.), 3-0; Off To Best PL Start Since 1990
• Score: Holy Cross 3, Loyola (Md.) 0 (25-15, 25-23, 25-20)
• Records: Holy Cross (4-11, 3-2 Patriot League); Loyola (Md.) (2-14, 0-3 Patriot League)
• Location: Worcester, Mass. (Field House)
• Date: Friday, Oct. 3, 2014
• Time: 7:05 p.m.
• The Lead: Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) recorded a double-double with a team-best 11 kills and 26 assists, while senior Dana Weston (Canton, Mass.) tallied a career-best nine kills as the Holy Cross volleyball team defeated Loyola (Md.), 3-0, on Friday night at the Holy Cross Field House in Patriot League action by scores of 25-15, 25-23 and 25-20. The Crusaders improve to 3-2 in the conference which is its best start to a Patriot League season since also going 3-2 in 1990 which was the first season of the league. The Crusaders also held a "Pink For A Purpose Match" tonight as the Crusaders are raising money for PINK Revolution. To make a donation go to https://www.firstgiving.com/ummf/pink-for-a-purpose-2014.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• McKernan led the Crusaders with 11 kills and 26 assists, while senior Julia Gould (Ridgewood, N.J.) totaled a team-best 13 digs. Weston and sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) each posted six blocks.
• Jane Lukas led the Greyhounds with 14 kills, while Kelly McShea posted 34 assists. Micah Duzey tallied 17 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• The Crusaders' 3-2 record after their first five Patriot League matches is their best start since the league's inaugural season in 1990.
• McKernan's double-double was her seventh of the season and the 15th of her career.
• Weston's nine kills were a career-best.
• Sifferlen's six blocks were her career-high.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The Crusaders took the first set by a 25-15 score as McKernan and Weston each totaled four kills. Weston recorded an outstanding .800 hitting percentage with four kills on five attempts as she posted a kill on set-point.
• With the Crusaders leading the second set, 24-23, senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) recorded a kill to give Holy Cross a 25-23 victory. McKernan led the team with four kills.
• The Crusaders clinched the sweep by taking the third set, 25-20, as freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) posted a kill on match-point.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Saturday, Oct. 4, when they host Patriot League opponent American at 4:05 p.m. This contest will also be a "Pink For A Purpose Match."
BEHIND THE SHIELD:
• The Holy Cross volleyball team was a part of an amazing weekend as it hosted a Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Match on Sept 26, defeating Colgate in a five-set thriller, while the Crusaders then participated in the Walk To Cure Diabetes on Sept. 28. Check out this all-access video of the match and the walk, featuring Alicia Swearingen who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when she was 13 and has successfully managed the disease as a Division I student-athlete.
Go here for the direct link to the video.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.