Volleyball Falls To Lehigh, 3-0
• Score: Lehigh 3, Holy Cross 0 (25-14, 25-14, 26-24)
• Records: Holy Cross (2-9, 1-1 Patriot League); Lehigh (7-7, 2-0 Patriot League)
• Location: Bethlehem, Pa. (Leeman-Turner Arena)
• Date: Friday, Sept. 19, 2014
• Time: 7:05 p.m.
• The Lead: Amy Matula just missed a double-double as she posted 28 assists and nine digs for the Mountain Hawks as the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to Lehigh, 3-0, on Friday night at Leeman-Turner Arena in Patriot League action by scores of 25-14, 25-14, 26-24.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) posted seven kills, 11 assists and nine digs for the Crusaders, while sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) tallied 25 digs. Freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) led the team with six blocks, while sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) totaled 12 digs.
• Jade Van Streepen and Morgan Lowe each tallied seven kills, while Mariah Brantley posted 19 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The Mountain Hawks moved out to a 12-point point lead in the first set at 18-6 on their way to a 25-14 win. Van Streepen led Lehigh with four kills.
• Lehigh also won the second set by a 25-14 score. McKernan led all players with five kills.
• With the third set tied at 23-23, senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) posted a kill to give the Crusaders a set point at 24-23. But the Lehigh was able to win the next three points for the match-clinching 26-24 victory. Stephanie Slater led Lehigh with five kills, while Swearingen tallied four kills for the Crusaders.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Saturday, Sept. 20, when they travel to Lewisburg, Pa., to take on Patriot League opponent Bucknell at 5:00 p.m.
TYPE 1 DIABETES AWARENESS:
• The Holy Cross volleyball team will be raising money and awareness for the cure of Type 1 Diabetes. On Friday, Sept. 26, the team will be holding a "Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Match" at its contest versus Colgate at the Holy Cross Field House at 7:05 p.m. The Crusaders will then be participating in the Walk To Cure Diabetes on Sunday, Sept. 28 at the Bolton Fair Grounds located in Lancaster, Mass.
• The cause of Type 1 Diabetes research and awareness is extremely important to the team as senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) was diagnosed with the disease when she was a child. For more information and to donate, visit the Team Alicia-Holy Cross Volleyball page on the Walk To Cure Diabetes' website by going here.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.