- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.
Volleyball Falls In Five Sets To Lehigh, 3-2
Holy Cross Athletics 10-24-2014
- Score: Lehigh 3, Holy Cross 2 (20-25, 25-17, 23-25, 25-20, 15-10)
- Records: Lehigh (16-9, 9-2 PL); Holy Cross (6-14, 5-6 PL)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Holy Cross Field House)
- Date: Saturday, October 25, 2014
- The Lead: Lehigh junior Leah Turner and junior Amy Matula both recorded double-doubles to help lead the visiting Mountain Hawks to a 3-2 victory over Holy Cross in Patriot League volleyball action on Saturday afternoon at the Holy Cross Field House.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With Holy Cross on top 8-6 in the first set, the Crusaders embarked on a 10-3 run to gain the 18-9 lead. Lehigh rallied back with a 7-3 spurt to make the score 21-16, but Holy Cross closed out the first set to earn the 25-20 win. Junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) and sophomore Natalie Welsch (Eden Prairie, Minn.) both had four kills in the first set.
- Lehigh held the 11-10 edge in the second set, before it went on a 9-4 run to earn the 20-14 lead. The Mountain Hawks closed the set with a 5-3 rally to earn the 25-17 second set victory.
- In the third game, Holy Cross started fast with an 11-6 lead to begin the set. Lehigh, however, rallied back to cut the deficit to one point (14-13) and the match went back and forth with Holy Cross holding the 19-18 lead. The Crusaders jumped ahead 23-18 off a kill by freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.), but the Mountain Hawks kept it close and made the score 23-21. Holy Cross would pick up the 25-23 third set win.
- Holy Cross gained the early 10-9 lead in the fourth set, but Lehigh went on a 9-3 rally to make the score 18-13. The Crusaders cut the deficit to two points (19-17), but the Mountain Hawks ended the fourth game on a 6-3 run to earn the 25-20 win.
- In the fifth set Lehigh jumped out with the 9-3 lead. The Crusaders cut the margin to three points (11-8), but the Mountain Hawks clinched the match with a 4-2 run to win the fifth set 15-10.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Turner posted a match-best 19 kills to go along with 29 digs, while Matula recorded 59 assists with 16 digs.
- The Crusaders were led by sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio), who had 13 kills and 41 assists.
- Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) tallied 13 kills, while Oliver and Welsch recorded 11 assists apiece. Sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) led the Crusaders with 41 assists.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Tuesday, Oct. 28, when it hosts Bryant at 7:05 p.m. at the Holy Cross Field House.