Holy Cross Downs Lafayette 3-2
• Score: Holy Cross 3, Lafayette 2 (13-25, 16-25, 25-11, 27-25, 15-11)
• Records: Holy Cross (5-12, 4-3 Patriot League); Lafayette (4-14, 1-5 Patriot League)
• Location: Easton, Pa. (Kirby Sports Center)
• Date: Friday, Oct. 10, 2014
• The Lead: Junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) had a team-high 12 kills as the Holy Cross volleyball team came from behind to defeat Lafayette 3-2 at the Kirby Sports Center, by scores of 13-25, 16-25, 25-11, 27-25 and 15-11. The Crusaders' 4-3 Patriot League record is their best start since the 2000 season when they also went 4-3 begin the conference season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) finished the match with nine kills and seven digs, while freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) added nine kills, three digs and three aces.
• Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) tallied 35 assists, 17 digs and five kills, and sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) had a team-best 22 digs.
• Danielle Towslee led Lafayette with a match-high 16 kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The Leopards controlled the first two sets, winning by scores of 25-13 and 25-16.
• After the Crusaders came back to win the third set 25-11, the two teams battled in the fourth set.
• Holy Cross jumped out to a 14-8 lead in set four, and would later lead 24-22 before Lafayette won three straight points to take a 25-24 advantage.
• The Crusaders responded by winning the next three points to claim the set 27-25 and tie the match at two sets each.
• In set five, Holy Cross took an early 11-4 lead before eventually winning 15-11 to claim the victory.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Saturday, Oct. 11, with a 12:00 p.m. match at Navy.