Holy Cross Falls 3-2 At Colgate
Score: Colgate 3, Holy Cross 2 (21-25, 25-27, 26-24, 25-15, 15-7)
Records: Holy Cross (6-17, 5-7 Patriot League); Colgate (14-8, 8-4 Patriot League)
Location: Hamilton, N.Y. (Cotterell Court)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014
Time: 3:00 p.m.
The Lead: Sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkson, Mich.) had a match-high 36 digs, but the Holy Cross volleyball team was defeated by Colgate 3-2 at Cotterell Court. Popp broke the school single-season record for digs in the first set, and now has 478 digs on the year. The old record was held by Angela Chisholm with 442 digs in 2010.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) posted a double-double with a match-high 18 kills and 10 digs.
- Senior Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) also had a double-double with 47 assists and 19 digs.
- Sophomore Natalie Welsch (Eden Prairie, Minn.) finished the day with 15 kills, while junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) added 11 kills
- Colgate was led by Katie Fauntleroy with 14 kills, with Brooke Shupryt-Knoop adding 12 kills and 14 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first set was tied at 10-10, before Holy Cross won eight of the next nine points to claim an 18-11 lead. Colgate was able to trim the margin to three points, before the Crusaders pulled out the set 25-21.
- Holy Cross trailed 21-20 in the second set, but came back to win 27-25 on its third set-point opportunity with a kill by Oliver.
- The Raiders led 24-21 in set three, before the Crusaders won the next three points to tie it up at 24-24. But Colgate still managed to pull out the set 26-24 to extend the match.
- Colgate jumped out to an early 5-0 lead in the fourth set, and led the whole way before eventually earning a 25-15 win.
- The fifth and deciding set was tied at 4-4 before the Raiders won the next three points to pull ahead. Holy Cross would get no closer than two points the rest of the way, with Colgate winning 15-7 to claim the match.
- The Crusaders return to action on Friday, Nov. 7, when they travel to American for a 7:00 p.m. match.
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.