Volleyball Falls To Boston College, 3-0, In Season-Opener
• Score: Boston College 3, Holy Cross 0 (25-20, 25-12, 25-16)
• Records: Holy Cross (0-1); Boston College (1-0)
• Location: Chestnut Hill, Mass. (Power Gym)
• The Lead: Senior Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) tallied her 18th career double-double with 18 assists and 12 digs, but the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to Boston College, 3-0, at the BC Invitational at Power Gym in the season-opener for both teams by scores of 25-20, 25-12 and 25-16.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• With Boston College leading 22-19 in the first set, the Eagles won three of the next four points to secure the 25-20 opening-frame victory. After BC took the second set by a 25-12 score, the Eagles clinched the match by taking the third set, 25-16.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Boston College was led by Katty Workman with 18 kills, while Kellie Barnum posted 27 assists. Lauren Fields led the Eagles with 14 digs.
• Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) led the Crusaders with six kills, while freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) led the team with four blocks and two aces. Stokes had a team-best 18 assists and 12 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• Stokes' double-double was the 18th of her career.
• Mullen and freshman M.C. Magner (Northfield, Ill.) each made their collegiate debuts. Magner was strong defensively with nine digs.
• The Crusaders will return to action this afternoon at 4:30 p.m. when they continue play at the BC Invitational with a match versus Marist.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.