Volleyball Defeated By Bucknell, 3-1
• Score: Bucknell 3, Holy Cross 1 (23-25, 29-27, 25-20, 38-36)
• Records: Holy Cross (2-10, 1-2 Patriot League); Bucknell (2-8, 1-1 Patriot League)
• Location: Lewisburg, Pa. (Davis Gym)
• Date: Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014
• Time: 5:05 p.m.
• The Lead: Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) recorded her third triple-double of the season with 16 kills, 40 assists and 16 digs, while sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) tallied a career-best 43 digs but the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to Bucknell, 3-1, on Saturday afternoon at Davis Gym in Patriot League action by scores of 23-25, 29-27, 25-20, 38-36.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• McKernan led the Crusaders with a career-best 16 kills, while she also posted 40 assists and 16 digs for an amazing third triple-double of the season. Along with Popp's 43 digs, freshman M.C. Magner (Northfield, Ill.) was also outstanding with a career-best 32 digs. Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) posted a double-double with 10 kills and 17 digs, while junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) also tallied double-digit kills with 14.
• Bucknell had two players record double-doubles as Hailey Stout totaled 15 kills and 19 digs, while Jordan Walker posted 17 kills and 17 digs. Kristen Parks had 38 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• McKernan recorded her third triple-double of the season.
• Popp's 43 digs are a career-best. Her previous career-best was 31 digs at Harvard on Sept. 6, 2013. As of Sept. 17, Popp's 43 digs are the most by any player in the country based on results reported to www.avca.org.
• Sifferlen's double-double was her fifth of the season and sixth of her career.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• With the Crusaders leading the first set by a 23-22 score, McKernan posted a kill to give the Crusaders two set points. After Meghan Wentzel and Karen Campbell cut the Crusader lead to 24-23 with blocks, Holy Cross won the next point on a Bucknell attack error for the 25-23 victory.
• With the Crusaders down a set point at 24-23 in the second, Sifferlen tallied a kill to even the score at 24-24. The teams would go back and forth with the Crusaders denying Bucknell on three more set points. But with the Bison leading 28-27, they took advantage of their fifth set point to earn a 29-27 win.
• Bucknell took the third set with a 25-20 victory. With the Bison leading 22-20, they won three straight points to earn the win as Campbell tallied a kill on set point.
• The Bison clinched the match in an amazing fourth set by a score of 38-36. Bucknell won the match with blocks by Campbell and Stout on the team's sixth set point.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Friday, Sept. 26, when they host Patriot League opponent Colgate at the Holy Cross Field House at 7:05 p.m. on Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Night.
TYPE 1 DIABETES AWARENESS:
• The Holy Cross volleyball team will be raising money and awareness for the cure of Type 1 Diabetes. On Friday, Sept. 26, the team will be holding a "Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Match" at its contest versus Colgate at the Holy Cross Field House at 7:05 p.m. The Crusaders will then be participating in the Walk To Cure Diabetes on Sunday, Sept. 28 at the Bolton Fair Grounds located in Lancaster, Mass.
• The cause of Type 1 Diabetes research and awareness is extremely important to the team as senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) was diagnosed with the disease when she was a child. For more information and to donate, visit the Team Alicia-Holy Cross Volleyball page on the Walk To Cure Diabetes' website by going here.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.