Volleyball Defeats Loyola (Md.), 3-1
Score: Holy Cross 3, Loyola (Md.) 1 (25-21, 25-23, 23-25, 25-18)
Records: Holy Cross (7-18, 6-8 Patriot League); Loyola (Md.) (2-25, 0-14 Patriot League)
Location: Baltimore, Md. (Reitz Arena)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014
Time: 2:00 p.m.
The Lead: Junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) tallied 13 kills as the Holy Cross volleyball team defeated Loyola (Md.), 3-1, at Reitz Arena on Saturday afternoon in Patriot League action. The Crusaders' six Patriot League wins tie for the most ever in program history. Holy Cross has posted six Patriot League victories three other times (2000, 2004 and 2011).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) led the team with 22 digs, while senior Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) posted 37 assists. Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) tallied 12 kills. Freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) and senior Kamele Shizuru (Kailua, Hawaii) each posted four blocks.
- Molly Cichosz and Jane Lukas each tallied 16 kills for the Greyhounds, while Kelly McShea posted a double-double with 35 assists and 13 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With the first set tied at 20-20, the Crusaders won four straight points as Mullen, senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) and Stokes each posted a kill, and Popp tallied a service ace. After a kill by Cichosz made the score, 24-21, blocks by Sifferlen and Mullen gave the Crusaders a 25-21 win.
- With the second set tied at 22-22, Holy Cross won three of the next four points to secure the 25-23 victory as Oliver tallied a kill on set point. Oliver posted five kills for the set.
- The Greyhounds won the last two points of the third set for a 25-23 victory to extend the match to a fourth set.
- The Crusaders clinched the match with a 25-18 fourth-set victory as Oliver posted a kill on match point.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Popp now has 510 digs this season as she is the first ever Crusader to post 500 digs or more in a season. Last week she set the new school record versus Colgate on Nov. 1. The previous school record was 442.
- The Crusaders have tied their most ever Patriot League victories with six.
- The Crusaders return to action on Friday, Nov. 14, when they host Patriot League opponent Navy at the Holy Cross Field House at 7:05 p.m.
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.