Volleyball Defeats Binghamton, 3-1
• Score: Holy Cross 3, Binghamton 1 (25-20, 24-26, 25-13, 25-12)
• Records: Holy Cross (2-8); Binghamton (1-10)
• Location: West Point, N.Y. (Gillis Field House)
• Date: Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014
• Time: 11:00 a.m.
• The Lead: Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) recorded her second triple-double of the season with 10 kills, 41 assists and 15 digs as the Holy Cross volleyball team defeated Binghamton, 3-1, on Sunday at Gillis Field House at the Army Invitational by scores of 25-20, 24-26, 25-13, 25-12. The Crusaders finished second in the tournament as they went 2-1 including a 3-1 win versus Army in the Patriot League season-opener and a 3-0 loss to Oakland. McKernan and sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) were named to the All-Tournament team.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• McKernan was outstanding posting a triple-double (10 kills, 41 assists, 15 digs) to lead the Crusaders. Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) tallied a double-double with 18 kills and 16 digs, while junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) totaled 13 kills. Popp tied her career-best with 31 digs.
• Megan Burgess led the Bearcats with 15 kills, while Kelly Leach posted 21 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• McKerna's triple-double is the second of her career and the second of this week as she tallied 10 kills, 47 assists and 10 digs versus Hartford on Sept. 9.
• Popp's 31 digs ties her career-best that she set at Harvard on Sept. 6, 2013. She has posted five straight double-digit digs performances with seven total this season.
• Sifferlen's double-double was her fourth of the season and the fifth of her career.
• Oliver has now tallied double-digit kills for four consecutive matches and six overall this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• With the first set tied at 15-15, the Crusader then won 10 of the next 15 points to earn a 25-20 win as senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) posted a kill on set point. Oliver led the Crusaders with four kills.
• With the Crusaders trailing 24-19 in the second set and down five set points, they rallied to win five straight to tie the set at 24-24. But the Bearcats then took the next two points for the 26-24 victory. McKernan tallied four kills.
• Holy Cross won the third set by a 25-13 score as McKernan had a kill on set point. Sifferlen led the team with six kills.
• Sifferlen was outstanding in the fourth set with nine kills to lead the Crusaders to a match-clinching 25-12 victory.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Friday, Sept. 19, when they travel to Bethlehem, Pa., to take on Patriot League opponent Lehigh at 7:00 p.m.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.