Volleyball Falls To Hartford, 3-2
• Score: Hartford 3, Holy Cross 2 (25-16, 25-18, 20-25, 24-26, 15-3)
• Records: Holy Cross (0-3); Hartford (1-1)
• Location: Chestnut Hill, Mass. (Power Gym)
• The Lead: After dropping the first two sets of the match, the Crusaders then won the next two but the Hawks were able to win the fifth and deciding set as the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to Hartford, 3-2, at the Boston College Invitational at Power Gym by scores of 25-16, 25-18, 20-25, 24-26 and 15-3. Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) was outstanding as she recorded her second career double-double with a career-best 19 kills and 16 digs. She was named to the All-Tournament team as she tallied 37 kills and 31 digs over the three matches. This is her first collegiate All-Tournament team honor.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• After Hartford won the first two sets by scores of 25-16 and 25-18, the Crusaders roared back to take the next two sets. With the Crusaders leading 23-20 in the third set, a kill by Sifferlen and then blocks by freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) and senior Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) gave Holy Cross the 25-20 third-set win. Sifferlen led the team with six kills.
• With the fourth set tied at 24-24, junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) posted a kill to give the Crusaders a 25-24 advantage. Then blocks by Sifferlen and senior captain Mary-Kate Short (Lighthouse Point, Fla.) gave the Crusaders a 26-24 win and forced a fifth and deciding set. Sifferlen was outstanding as she posted nine kills.
• The Hawks jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the fifth set and then won nine of the next 12 points to clinch the match with a 15-3 fifth-set win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Sifferlen led the Crusaders with 19 kills as she also posted 16 digs. She also tied for the team-lead with Mullen with four blocks. Sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) led the team with 29 digs, while Stokes posted 44 assists. Oliver had a strong match with 16 kills.
• Hartford was led by Brianna Pacileo who tallied a double-double with 11 kills and 26 digs, while Maya Louis also posted a double-double with 44 assists and 19 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• Sifferlen's double-double was the second of her career. Her 19 kills and 16 digs were both career highs.
• Popp totaled 29 digs as she just missed her career high of 31 digs which she set versus Harvard on Sept. 6, 2013.
• Oliver's 16 kills are a career-best.
• Freshman M.C. Magner (Northfield, Ill.) tallied her first collegiate double-digit digs performance with 12.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 5-6, when they travel to Philadelphia, Pa., to compete in the Temple Invitational. On Friday, Holy Cross will take on Princeton at 3:30 p.m., while on Saturday, the Crusaders will meet Charlotte at 10:30 a.m. and Temple at 4:30 p.m.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter@HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.