Volleyball Falls To Princeton, 3-1
• Score: Princeton 3, Holy Cross 1 (25-17, 23-25, 25-12, 25-15)
• Records: Holy Cross (0-4); Princeton (1-1)
• Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (McGonigle Gym)
• Time: 3:30 p.m.
• The Lead: Senior Hannah Grace Stokes (Atlanta, Ga.) and sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) each recorded their second double-double of the season, but the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to Princeton, 3-1, at the Temple Invitational at McGonigle Gym by scores of 25-17, 23-25, 25-12, 25-15.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Sifferlen posted 11 kills and 12 digs, while Stokes tallied 28 assists and 11 digs. Junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) led the team with 13 kills, while sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) ranked first on the team with 13 digs.
• Princeton had three players record double-doubles. Kendall Peterkin tallied 20 kills and 14 digs, while Lauren Miller posted 47 assists and 13 digs. Cara Mattaliano also had a double-double with 16 kills and 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• Stokes' double-double was her second of the season and the 19th of her career. She now has 1,541 career assists which are sixth all-time in program history.
• Sifferlen's double-double was her second of the season and the third of her career.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• With Princeton leading the first set by a 20-14 score, the Tigers then won five of the last eight points to secure a 25-17 opening set victory as Peterkin recorded a kill on set point.
• The Crusaders bounced back in the second set with a 25-23 win. After a kill by Oliver gave Holy Cross a 24-20 advantage, Princeton took the next three points to cut the lead to 24-23. But Oliver clinched the set with a kill to tie the match at 1-1. Sifferlen led the team with five kills.
• The Tigers then went onto win the third set by a 25-12 score and the fourth set, 25-15, to earn the victory.
• The Crusaders will continue play at the Temple Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 6, when they meet Charlotte at 10:30 a.m. and Temple at 4:30 p.m.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.