Volleyball Falls To Brown, 3-0
• Score: Brown 3 Holy Cross 0 (25-15, 25-19, 25-21)
• Records: Holy Cross (3-11); Brown (5-8)
• Location: Providence, R.I. (Pizzitola Center)
• Date: Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014
• Time: 7:30 p.m.
• The Lead: Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) tallied a double-double but the Holy Cross volleyball team fell to Brown, 3-0, on Tuesday night at the Pizzitola Center in non-conference action by scores of 25-15, 25-19 and 25-21.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• McKernan posted her sixth double-double of the season and the 14th of her career with 20 assists and 11 digs. Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) led the Crusaders with seven kills, while sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) tallied 22 digs. Freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) posted five blocks.
• Maddie Lord led Brown with 11 kills, while Sarah Lucenti and Maryl Vanden Bos each posted 16 assists. Shannon Frost tallied 13 digs and Taylor Bantle posted six blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Brown won the first set by a 25-15 score as Frost posted a kill on set point. Mullen and Short led the Crusaders with three kills each. Short posted a 1.000 hitting percentage with three kills on three attempts.
• With the Bears leading the second set 23-16, the Crusaders then won three straight points to cut the Brown lead to 23-19. But the Bears won the next two points to earn the 25-19 victory as Frost tallied an ace on set point. Sifferlen led the Crusaders with four kills.
• With Brown leading the third set, 22-21, the Bears then took the next three points to win 25-21 to take the match, 3-0.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 3-4, when they host two Patriot League matches at the Holy Cross Field House. On Friday, Holy Cross will take on Loyola (Md.) at 7:05 p.m., while on Saturday the Crusaders will play American at 4:05 p.m. Both contests will be "Pink For A Purpose Matches" as the Crusaders are raising money for PINK Revolution. To make a donation go to https://www.firstgiving.com/ummf/pink-for-a-purpose-2014.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.