Volleyball Defeats Colgate, 3-2, In Five-Set Thriller
• Score: Holy Cross 3, Colgate 2 (25-19, 25-22, 20-25, 23-25, 15-10)
• Records: Holy Cross (3-10, 2-2 Patriot League); Colgate (6-5, 0-1 Patriot League)
• Location: Worcester, Mass. (Holy Cross Field House)
• Date: Friday, Sept. 26, 2014
• Time: 7:05 p.m.
The Lead: Sophomore Katie McKernan (Sylvania, Ohio) tallied nine kills, 44 assists and 15 digs as the Holy Cross volleyball team defeated Colgate, 3-2, in a five-set thriller on Friday night at the Holy Cross Field House in Patriot League action by scores of 25-19, 25-22, 20-25, 23-25, 15-10 on Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Night. After Holy Cross won the first two sets, Colgate responded by taking the next two sets, but the Crusaders then won the fifth and deciding set to earn the win and improve to 2-2 in the Patriot League.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• McKernan just missed a triple-double as she led the Crusaders with nine kills, 44 assists and 15 digs. Sophomore Mandy Sifferlen (Sudbury, Mass.) ranked first on the team in kills with 19, while junior Emily Oliver (Carlsbad, Calif.) totaled 16 kills and freshman Mary Mullen (Mendota Heights, Minn.) posted a career-best 11 kills. Senior Dana Weston (Canton, Mass.) tallied seven blocks, while sophomore Emily Popp (Clarkston, Mich.) posted 17 digs and freshman M.C. Magner (Northfield, Ill.) secured 11 digs.
• Kathleen Harris recorded a double-double for the Raiders with 11 kills and 11 digs, while Brooke Shupryt-Knoop tallied 19 kills. Elena Simpson led the team with 14 digs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• McKernan's double-double was her fifth of the season and the 13th of her career.
• Mullen's 11 kills was her first collegiate double-digit performance.
• This is only the Crusaders' third victory versus the Raiders over the last 20 matches between the teams as the Crusaders won 3-0 on Nov. 12, 2004 and 3-1 on Nov. 12, 2011.
• Holy Cross' 2-2 league record is its best start since also going 2-2 in the 2011 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• With the Crusaders leading the first set by a 21-17 score, they then won four of the next six points to earn a 25-19 win as Mullen tallied a kill on set point. Sifferlen led the Crusaders with six kills.
• The Crusaders led by as many as 14 points twice in the second set including at 22-8. The Raiders then won 14 of the next 16 points to cut the Crusader lead to 24-22. But a kill by Sifferlen gave Holy Cross a 25-22 victory. Sifferlen led the team with five kills.
• Colgate then took the third set by a 25-20 score. With the set tied at 19-19, the Raiders won six of the next seven points.
• With the Crusaders down 24-22 in the fourth set, Mullen recorded a kill to make the score 24-23. But, Brooke Shupryt-Knoop tallied a kill to give Colgate a 25-23 win and force a fifth and deciding set.
• With the Crusaders leading 11-10 in the fifth, a kill by Weston increased the lead to 12-10. Then Sifferlen and Weston recorded blocks to make the score 13-10. Sifferlen then gave Holy Cross four match points with her 19th kill of the contest. The Crusaders clinched the 15-10 match-clinching win on a Colgate attack error. Mullen, Sifferlen and Weston each posted two kills to lead the team in the fifth set.
• The Crusaders will return to action on Tuesday, Sept. 30, when they hit the road to take on Brown at 7:30 p.m.
TYPE 1 DIABETES AWARENESS:
• Tonight the Holy Cross volleyball team held a "Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Match." The Crusaders wore special t-shirts during warmups to raise awareness as they will also be wearing the shirts when they participate in the Walk To Cure Diabetes on Sunday, Sept. 28 at the Bolton Fair Grounds located in Lancaster, Mass. During tonight's match, there were facts and information about Type 1 Diabetes. Between the second and third sets, there was a game of Type 1 Diabetes Trivia.
• The cause of Type 1 Diabetes research and awareness is extremely important to the team as senior captain Alicia Swearingen (Springdale, Ark.) was diagnosed with the disease when she was 13. For more information and to donate, visit the Team Alicia-Holy Cross Volleyball page on the Walk To Cure Diabetes' website by going here.
• There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HolyCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.