Crusaders Fall At Navy
Holy Cross Athletics 01-28-2017
- Score: Navy 60, Holy Cross 47
- Records: Holy Cross 11-12, 5-5 PL; Navy 12-10, 7-3 PL
- Location: Alumni Hall, Annapolis, Md.
- Date: January 28, 2017
- The Lead: Navy’s Shawn Anderson totaled 15 points, six assists and six steals, as the Midshipmen posted a 60-47 victory over the Holy Cross men’s basketball team at Alumni Hall.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- After the game, senior guard Anthony Thompson was selected as the United States Marines Man of the Match.
- Thompson totaled 10 points, three steals, two rebounds and two assists on the afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Crusaders made just 34.1 percent of their field goal attempts and 61.9 percent of their free throws in the game.
- The Midshipmen overcame 43.8 percent free throw shooting by hitting 50.0 percent of their shots from the floor.
- Both teams finished the game with 19 turnovers, while Navy held a 36-27 rebounding advantage.
- Sophomore guard Patrick Benzan recorded 12 points and two steals on the day, while senior forward Malachi Alexander added 11 points, five rebounds, three assists and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Midshipmen opened the game by jumping out to an early 13-3 lead after the first six minutes of play.
- Holy Cross scored the next seven points to close the gap, and was later down 18-14 with 7:43 left before the break.
- Navy then used an 8-2 run to build its lead back to double digits, and went on to take a 33-24 advantage into the locker room.
- The Crusaders went cold from the field to open the second half, as the Midshipmen scored seven straight points to claim a 40-24 lead with 15 minutes left to play.
- The Navy lead stayed between 12-19 points for several minutes, and stood at 57-40 with 3:43 remaining.
- Holy Cross used a quick 7-0 spurt to close to within 10 (57-47), but would get no closer as the Midshipmen eventually posted a 13-point victory.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 1, when it plays host to Colgate at 7:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Single-game tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS Men's Basketball
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
Women's Ice Hockey
Women's Ice Hockey NEWHA Tournament Hype Video
Men's Ice Hockey
Men's Ice Hockey vs. AIC Video Recap (2/22/2018)
Men's Basketball vs. American Highlights (2/21/18)