Crusaders Conclude Season With 3-2 Loss At Robert Morris
Score: Robert Morris 3, Holy Cross 2
Records: Holy Cross (14-15-7, 11-10-7 AHC); Robert Morris (21-11-4, 15-10-3 AHC)
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa. (84 Lumber Arena)
Event: Atlantic Hockey Quarterfinal Series (Best two-out-of-three)
Date: Saturday, March 10, 2017
Time: 7:05 p.m.
The Lead: Daniel Leavens scored two goals for the Colonials as the No. 5 seed Holy Cross men’s hockey team fell to No. 4 seed Robert Morris, 3-2, at 84 Lumber Arena on Saturday evening in game two of a best two-out-of-three Atlantic Hockey Tournament quarterfinal series. The Colonials win the series and advance to Rochester, N.Y. for the semifinals. Robert Morris won the first game, 6-3, on March 10.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At 7:45 of the first period, the Crusaders went on a five-on-three power play for 1:10, but were unable to find the back of the net.
- Then at 17:35, the Crusaders started a five-minute major power play.
- Holy Cross outshot Robert Morris, 10-9, while the Crusaders went 0-3 on the power play and the Colonials went 0-1.
- The Crusaders started off the second period with 2:34 remaining on the five-minute major power play but were unable to get on the scoreboard.
- At 8:37 of the period, the Colonials took a 1-0 lead when Leavens blasted a one-timer to the back of the net for the power play goal.
- Leavens then scored his second goal of the contest when he knocked the puck to the glove side of the net to increase the Robert Morris lead to 2-0 at 16:34.
- Holy Cross outshot Robert Morris by a 7-4 margin, while the Crusaders went 0-2 on the man-advantage and the Colonials went 1-2.
- With 3:51 left in the third period, junior captain Brett Mulcahy wrapped the puck around the net to sophomore Mitch Collett who sent it to the back of the net to cut the Robert Morris lead to 2-1. Freshman defenseman Dalton Skelly also posted an assist on the goal.
- With 1:18 remaining, Brady Ferguson scored an empty-net goal to increase the lead to 3-1.
- Then with just 23 seconds left, sophomore forward Peter Crinella fired a shot past Francis Marotte to make it a 3-2 contest. Junior forward Scott Pooley and junior assistant captain T.J. Moore each tallied an assist on the goal.
- With just three seconds remaining, the Crusaders went on a power play with a face-off in the Robert Morris zone. But the Crusaders were unable to get a shot off for the 3-2 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holy Cross outshot Robert Morris, 24-22.
- The Crusaders went 0-6 on the power play and the Colonials went 1-3.
- Junior goalie Paul Berrafato made 19 saves, while Marotte recorded 22 to earn the victory.
- The Crusaders won 34 face-offs, while the Colonials secured 30.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Senior Mike Barrett played in 147 career games, which are sixth all-time in school history.
- The Crusaders’ season has concluded.