Crusaders Fall Short At Providence
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross volleyball team lost 3-1 to Providence (20-25, 25-21, 11-25, 21-25) in the first match of the 13th Annual Friar Classic. Freshman outside hitter Katie Kerins led the Crusaders with 12 kills along with freshman middle blocker Clare Honan with 11 kills. Sophomore outside hitter Addison Root led the Friars with 19 kills and 13 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crusaders trailed the Friars in the first set, but after a kill by junior middle hitter Kristen Somerville, the Friar's lead was cut to 14-13. The Friars held on to the lead and finished the first set 25-20.
- In the second set, Holy Cross took a 17-12 lead after a kill by Kerins from freshman setter Bailey Steger. The Crusaders went on to win the set 25-21.
- The Friars started the third set strong and jumped to a 16-7 lead. Providence controlled the rest of the set and won 25-11.
- The fourth set stayed even between both teams. The Crusaders tied the set after two back-to-back blocks from senior middle hitter Mary Mullen and Honan. However, Providence was able to secure the victory after winning the fourth set 25-21.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kerins notched 12 kills against the Friars and recorded double-digit kills for the fifth match in a row.
- Freshman outside hitter Emmerson Smith had a career-high 17 digs.
- Steger posted a career-high 20 assists.
- The Crusaders will take on St. Francis (N.Y.) at 3:30 p.m. and Rider at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 9 for the second and third matches of the Friar Classic.