Field Hockey Earns 4-0 Victory Over Colgate Saturday
|Shots on Goal||14||2|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross field hockey team defeated Colgate by a score of 4-0 on Saturday afternoon in Worcester. Senior Maureen Connolly got the Crusaders on the board in the 16th minute of play, as she scored with a high shot off a pass from senior Rachel Lapar at the top of the circle. Holy Cross then made it a 2-0 game in the 22nd minute, as freshman Olivia Venezia tapped in a loose ball in front of the net.
Holy Cross maintained pressure in the second half, and outshot the Raiders 8-4 in the final 35 minutes. Junior Emily Loprete found the back of the net in the 62nd minute to make it 3-0, as she scored with a shot from the center of the circle. Connolly would add the final goal of the game in the 67th minute of play to help seal the final score for Holy Cross.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Crusaders outshot Colgate 18-9.
- Freshman Marcia LaPlante made two saves in net for Holy Cross.
- Maria Krull stopped 10 shots on goal for the Raiders.
- Connolly led the Crusaders with five shots.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With her second goal of the game, Connolly registered her 100th career point, making her the seventh Crusader in program history to reach the milestone.
- Venezia’s goal was the first of her career.
- LaPlante earned the sixth shutout of her career, and her fourth of the season.
- The Crusaders return to action this Wednesday, Sept. 27, as Holy Cross plays host to Harvard at 6:05 p.m.