Field Hockey Falls To Columbia 5-1
|Shots on Goal||8||15|
NEW YORK, N.Y. – The Holy Cross field hockey team took a 5-1 defeat to Columbia on Sunday afternoon. The Lions put together a strong first half, scoring four goals and outshooting the Crusaders 14-6. Columbia was first on the board in the 23rd minute of play with a goal from Jennifer Trieschman, and Meghan Fahey scored just over one minute later to make it a 2-0 game for the Lions. Senior Maureen Connolly scored for Holy Cross in the 28th minute with an unassisted tally off a rebound.
Trieschman would add two more goals in the 30th and 32nd minutes to make it 4-1 Columbia before heading into halftime. The Lions kept up their pressure in the second half, outshooting Holy Cross 12-8. Maeve Doherty scored the final goal of the contest for Columbia in the 66th minute off a penalty corner to make it 5-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Lions outshot Holy Cross 26-14.
- Sophomore Marcia LaPlante made 10 saves for the Crusaders.
- Katie Dempsey stopped seven shots for Columbia.
- Connolly led the Crusaders with nine shot attempts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Connolly has scored at least one goal in 10 games this season.
- The Crusaders return to action on Friday, Oct. 13, as they play host to Boston University at 6:05 p.m.