Men's Hockey Takes Down Army, 4-0
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men’s hockey team captured their first road win with a decisive 4-0 win over Army West Point. Danny Lopez’s first period goal served as the eventual game-winner.
The Crusaders saw three more goal-scorers. Michael Laffin extended the lead to 2-0 in the second period. In the third period, Pete Kessel scored his first collegiate goal to continue the offensive pressure. To close the game, Mitch Collett scored the team’s first shorthanded goal with an empty net goal.
The 4-0 win is the first time the Crusaders defeated the Black Knights in 11 contests.
Score: Holy Cross 4 | Army 0
Location: West Point, N.Y. | Tate Rink
Date: Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Records: Holy Cross (5-2-5, 5-1-5 AHC) | Army (6-5-1, 6-5-1 AHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1-0 HC (1st, 14:41, EV): Peter Crinella forced a turnover at the Crusaders’ defensive blue line and generated a two-on-one opportunity. The junior forward drew the Army defender and Cole Bruns to him and then sent the puck across the slot to a wide-open Danny Lopez to score on the empty net.
2-0 HC (2nd, 18:22, EV): On a four-on-four situation, Ryan Ferrill won a defensive zone faceoff to Spencer Trapp, who carried the puck from behind the Crusaders’ goal to the top of the circle in the offensive zone. Trapp found Michael Laffin, coming off the bench and skating into the slot for a wrist shot to the top shelf.
3-0 HC (3rd, 5:25, EV): In the defensive zone, Johnny Coughlin broke the puck out to a rushing Pete Kessel. The freshman forward picked up the puck outside the circle and skated towards goal, and shot under the crossbar.
4-0 HC (3rd, 18:07, SH EN): In the final minutes of regulation, Holy Cross was on the penalty kill and Army pulled the goalie for the extra attacker. Mitch Collett picked up the puck in the defensive zone along the half wall and fired the puck into the empty net.
- Ferrill, Crinella, and Lopez recorded a point in both games against the Black Knights. Ferrill and Crinella each tallied an assist in back-to-back games while Lopez scored in both games.
- Collett’s shorthanded goal is the first shorthanded goal for the Crusaders in the 2017-18 season.
- The game marks Holy Cross’ first road win of the season.
- With the victory, the Crusaders snap an 11-game unbeaten streak for the Black Knights in the all-time series between the teams. The last time Holy Cross defeated Army was March 1, 2014 in West Point.
- Paul Berrafato added his third shutout of the season and ninth of his career with 24 saves.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holy Cross blocked 26 shots, including 10 in the opening period.
- The Crusaders recorded 21 shots to the Black Knights 24.
- Holy Cross killed six penalties and only allowed three Black Knight shots across the six opportunities.
- The Crusaders will take a break from conference play, with a road game at Brown on Nov. 21 at 7:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
- To purchase tickets for the 2017-2018 Holy Cross men's hockey season, call 1-844-GOCROSS or visit GoHolyCross.com/Tickets.