Men's Hockey Suffers Loss to Arizona State
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men’s hockey team was defeated by the Arizona State Sun Devils at the Hart Center. Through a scoreless first period, both teams had offensive chances and the Crusaders held a 13-10 advantage in shots.
Spencer Trapp stuck first for Holy Cross early in the second period, but the Sun Devils went on to score three unanswered goals to win the game. Arizona State scored late in the second period to tie the game, 1-1. The Sun Devils added two quick goals at the start of the third period to take the lead, 3-1.
Score: Holy Cross 1 | Arizona State 3
Location: Worcester, Mass. | Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex
Date: Friday, Nov. 24, 2017
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Records: Holy Cross (5-4-5, 4-1-5 AHC) | Arizona State (3-8-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1-0 HC (2nd, 6:26, EV ): Brett Mulcahy broke up the play heading into the Crusaders’ defensive zone and sent Scott Pooley rushing towards the Sun Devil goal. Pooley fired the puck off of Arizona State’s Joey Daccord’s pad that put him out of position and the rebound to a wide open Spencer Trapp. Trapp faked a shot and skated around Daccord to score on the open net.
1-1 ASU (2nd, 19:03, EV): Arizona State’s Johnny Walker’s shot beat Berrafato.
2-1 ASU (3rd, 1:56, EV): A point shot from Jacob Wilson was deflected by Tyler Busch in the slot.
3-1 ASU (3rd, 3:17, EV): Tyler Busch’s shot beat Berrafato after David Norris wrapped around the goal and found Busch in the slot.
- Spencer Trapp scored his first goal of the season and his eighth point.
- Scott Pooley continues to lead the Crusaders in points after tallying his third assist and second point in as many games. He holds a season total of 15 points.
- The Crusaders recorded 18 shots on the power play, with five opportunities.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holy Cross and Arizona State were even in shots, each recording 31.
- The Crusaders blocked 15 shots, led by Spencer Trapp with four blocks.
- Holy Cross held the advantage at the face off dot, winning 55% (33-59).
- Paul Berrafato made 28 saves and Joey Daccord made 30.
The Crusaders will complete the weekend series with the Sun Devils at the Hart Center on Nov. 25 at 7:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
To purchase tickets for the 2017-2018 Holy Cross men's hockey season, call 1-844-GOCROSS or visit GoHolyCross.com/Tickets.