Holy Cross Falls To Manhattan In Belfast Classic Opener
BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Freshman guard Caleb Green totaled 11 points, three rebounds and two steals, but the Holy Cross men's basketball team was defeated by Manhattan 70-54 in the opening game of the Basketball Hall of Fame Belfast Classic at the SSE Arena. The Crusaders fall to 2-4 on the season with the loss, while the Jaspers improve to 3-4 overall.
Holy Cross was able to connect on 44.9 percent of its field goal attempts and 31.3 percent of its three pointers on the day, while Manhattan made 46.8 percent of its shots from the floor and 34.8 percent of its attempts from beyond the arc.
The Jaspers also out-rebounded the Crusaders 31-24, while holding a 24-7 advantage in free throw attempts.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, junior guard Matt Zignorski was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- Zignorski scored nine points on four-of-seven shooting from the field, in addition to posting two assists, a rebound and a steal.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game was close early on, and the Jaspers held an 18-14 lead with 8:25 left before the break.
- Manhattan then used an 8-2 run to extend its lead to double digits (26-16).
- The Jaspers would later close out the half with a 9-3 spurt, and held a 39-23 advantage heading into the locker room.
- Manhattan opened the second half with a 13-3 run to increase its lead to 26 points (52-26) with 13:52 remaining.
- The Crusaders would get no closer than 13 points the rest of the way, as the Jaspers went on to post a 16-point victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Green scored in double digits for the fifth time in six games this season.
- Freshman guard Kyle Copeland scored the first two points on his collegiate career with a jump shot in the second half.
- Holy Cross now leads the all-time series with Manhattan 21-10.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Saturday, Dec. 2, when it faces La Salle in the consolation game of the Basketball Hall of Fame Belfast Classic.
- The game is scheduled to tip-off at 9:30 a.m. (EST) and will be shown live on the CBS Sports Network.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Season and single-game tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.