Grandison Scores Career-High 14, But Holy Cross Falls To Iona
WORCESTER, Mass. – Schadrac Casimir totaled 22 points and five assists to lead Iona to an 82-68 victory over the Holy Cross men’s basketball team at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex. The Crusaders fall to 3-7 on the season with the loss, while the Gaels improve to 6-5 overall.
Iona made a Hart Center-record 20 three-point field goals on the night, with five different players making at least three treys. The Gaels hit 54.1 percent of their shots from behind the arc, while making 51.9 percent of their field goal attempts overall. Holy Cross was able to connect on 45.6 percent of its shots from the floor and 40.0 percent from three-point range.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Grandison was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- He hit five of eight field goal attempts and three of six shots from three-point range, while scoring in double figures for the first time in his collegiate career.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Holy Cross opened the game by jumping out to an early 7-3 lead, and was still up by three (12-9) with 11 minutes left in the first half.
- Iona then went on a 21-8 run to claim a 10-point advantage (30-20), with its first 30 points of the game all coming on three-pointers.
- The Gaels eventually extended their lead to 15 points (38-23) heading into the locker room at halftime.
- Iona went up by as many as 19 points early in the second half, and was up 52-34 with 15 minutes left in regulation.
- The Crusaders then used an 11-2 run to get back into the game, and trailed by just nine (54-45) at the 10-minute mark.
- But the Gaels scored the next eight points to regain control, and went on to post a 14-point victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Iona’s 20 made three-pointers shattered the old Hart Center single-game record of 15, which had been accomplished twice before (by Holy Cross against New Hampshire on Nov. 29, 2015, and by Assumption against Holy Cross on Dec. 5, 1988).
- Junior forward Jehyve Floyd pulled down a career-high 10 rebounds to go along with nine points.
- The Crusaders hit a season-high 12 three-pointers as a team.
- The 32 combined three-pointers made by Holy Cross and Iona also set a new Hart Center record.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Friday, Dec. 22, when it travels to Siena for a 7:00 p.m. game.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.
As the calendar year ends, we ask you to help Holy Cross Athletics maintain its forward momentum by supporting the Crusader Athletics Fund. To make your gift, visit GoHolyCross.com/caf or call (877) 433-1843.