Holy Cross Edged By Navy 61-56 In Overtime
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – George Kiernan scored five of his game-high 13 points in overtime, to lead Navy to a 61-56 victory over the Holy Cross men’s basketball team at Alumni Hall. The Crusaders fall to 4-12 on the season and 1-4 in the Patriot League with the loss, while the Midshipmen improve to 12-6 overall and 3-2 in the conference.
Navy hit just 39.1 percent of its field goal attempts on the night, but held a 34-29 rebounding advantage and a 25-12 edge in free throw attempts. Holy Cross also struggled shooting the ball, making only 38.0 percent of its shots from the floor.
Junior forward Karl Charles led the Crusaders with 10 points, four rebounds and two assists. Freshman forward Jacob Grandison added nine points, nine rebounds and five assists, while freshman guard Kyle Copeland scored a career-high nine points.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Grandison was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- He set a new career-high with nine rebounds, while tying his career-best with five assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game was close for the majority of the first half, and Holy Cross held a 20-19 lead with 3:17 left before the break.
- The Midshipmen then went on a 10-0 run to pull in front, and eventually held a 29-23 advantage at halftime.
- The Crusaders came out playing outstanding defense to start the second half, using an 8-0 spurt over the first six minutes to claim a 31-29 lead.
- The score stayed close for the next several minutes, and Holy Cross was up 43-42 with 3:28 left in regulation.
- Navy scored the next five points to pull ahead, and held a 48-45 lead with less than a minute to play.
- Junior guard Patrick Benzan then converted a three-point play with 50.8 seconds left to tie the score at 48-48 and force overtime.
- The Crusaders went cold from the field in the extra session, missing their first three shots as the Midshipmen built a 55-48 lead.
- Holy Cross would get no closer than three points the rest of the way, as Navy hit six of eight free throws in the final minute to pull out the win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The Crusaders had a season-high .917 free throw percentage, hitting 11 of 12 attempts.
- Holy Cross has lost two straight overtime games, since winning 77-72 at Bucknell in double overtime in the 2016 Patriot League quarterfinals.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Sunday, Jan. 14, when it plays host to Boston University in a Turnpike Trophy match-up at 1:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.