Holy Cross Takes 71-47 Setback To Bucknell
WORCESTER, Mass. – Sophomore Lauren Manis led Holy Cross with 20 points, but the Holy Cross women’s basketball team fell to Bucknell 71-47 on Saturday afternoon.
Manis posted 20 points for the Crusaders (9-10, 4-4) while adding eight rebounds, four blocks and three steals. Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed tallied 19 points with five rebounds and a pair of blocks. Bucknell (11-8, 5-3) was led by Kate Walker, who posted a game-high 25 points with six assists and five rebounds. Abby Kapp also had a strong game for the Bison, finishing with 11 points and six boards.
Bucknell shot 41.0% (25-61) from the field, while Holy Cross shot 31.4% (16-51). From three-point range, the Bison hit 43.5% (10-23), while the Crusaders posted 23.5% (4-17). At the free throw line, Bucknell hit 91.7% (11-12) of its attempts as Holy Cross shot 73.3% (11-15).
WOMAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES
- Following the game, Manis was selected as the Woman of the Match presented the United States Marines.
- She added 20 points with eight rebounds, four blocks and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams battled back and forth in the opening minutes, with neither side leading by more than four throughout most of the first quarter. Bucknell took a six-point lead with just under a minute to play, and carried a 19-14 advantage into the second.
- The Crusaders came back to take a one-point lead with three minutes left in the half, but the Bison posted a 9-0 run and headed into halftime up 36-27.
- Bucknell led by as many as 17 points during the third quarter, and entered the fourth with a 53-40 lead.
- The Bison outscored Holy Cross 18-7 in the fourth quarter to seal the 71-47 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Manis and Thomas-Waheed combined for 39 of the Crusaders’ 47 points (82.9%).
- Bucknell posted 23 points off turnovers while holding Holy Cross to 11.
- The Bison added 12 points on second-chance opportunities, while the Crusaders posted three.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Wednesday, Jan. 24, as the Crusaders play host to American at 7:05 p.m.