Green Scores 18, Men's Basketball Tops Army 70-65
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Freshman guard Caleb Green scored a game-high 18 points to lead the Holy Cross men’s basketball team to a 70-65 victory over Army West Point at Christl Arena. The Crusaders improve to 10-16 on the season and 7-8 in the Patriot League with the win, while the Black Knights fall to 13-13 overall and 6-9 in the conference.
Holy Cross trailed 65-64 with less than a minute to play, when junior guard Patrick Benzan drove to the basket for a layup to make the score 66-65. The Crusaders forced a turnover on Army’s next possession to set up a breakaway dunk by freshman guard Austin Butler, before two free throws by Butler with 6.1 seconds left sealed the win.
The Black Knights had opened the game with an early 11-4 lead, before Holy Cross scored 11 straight points to pull in front. The Crusaders were later up 22-21, when they used a 16-3 run to take a 14-point lead (38-24) with one minute left in the first half.
Army was able to trim the margin to 38-30 at halftime, and would continue to chip away at the lead early in the second half. The Black Knights would tie the score up on three different occasions, before taking their first lead of the second half (65-64) with 56.7 left on a pair of free throws by Jordan Fox. Benzan’s layup then sparked a 6-0 Holy Cross run to end the game.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Green was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- He hit five of six field goal attempts, four of five three-pointers and four of six free throws on the night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- As a team, the Crusaders made 51.1 percent of their field goal attempts and 45.5 percent of their three-pointers in the game.
- Holy Cross also held Army to 39.0 percent shooting from the floor and 30.8 percent shooting from three-point range.
- The Black Knights did hold a 39-27 rebounding advantage, while pulling down 17 offensive rebounds.
- Butler finished the night with 13 points, three rebounds and two assists.
- Freshman forward Jacob Grandison added 10 points, seven rebounds and three assists, while freshman forward Connor Niego scored 10 points.
- Army was led by Matt Wilson with 16 points and six rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Sixty of the Crusaders’ 70 points were scored by freshmen.
- Holy Cross swept the regular season series with Army for the first time since 2014, and has now won three straight games at Christl Arena.
- With the win, the Crusaders take over sole possession of sixth place in the Patriot League standings.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 17, when it plays host to Bucknell at 12:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.