Women's Lacrosse Falls at Iona, 11-4
NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team was at Iona, 11-4, on Saturday afternoon.
The Gaels (3-1) started off the scoring and tallied three goals before the Crusaders (0-4) got on the board. Holy Cross was even in shots with Iona, but Gaels goalkeeper turned aside four shots before Holy Cross was able to hit the twine. Iona scored three more times to take a 6-1 lead going into the half.
Iona kicked off the scoring in the second half, but Holy Cross fired off back-to-back goals to move the game to 7-3. Iona continued their offense, scoring three more goals. The Crusaders added their fourth and final goal late in the second half, and Iona responded once more to finish the game 11-4.
First Half | HC 1 Iona 6
- Iona rattled off three goals in the opening eight minutes.
- Holy Cross’ Riley Bergholtz scored her third of the season at 14:32 and was assisted by Maggie Moriarty.
- The Gales added three more goals through the opening 30 minutes.
Second Half | HC 4 Iona 11
- Iona scored to start the second half at 27:22.
- Holy Cross recorded back-to-back goals when Keely Connors and Maggie Moriarty stuck at 26:31 and 25:50, respectively.
- Iona added three more goal to extend the lead, 10-3
- Baker Earl recorded her second goal of the season at 4:17 and was assisted by Moriarty.
- Four different Crusaders scored in the game.
- Holy Cross picked up a season-high 25 ground balls.
- Maggie Moriarty recorded three points on one goal and two assists.
- Keely Connors has scored in all four of Holy Cross’ games through the 2018 season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Iona outshot Holy Cross, 26-21.
- The Crusaders picked up 13 draw controls, while the Gaels picked up four.
- Iona recorded nine caused turnovers to Holy Cross’ eight.
The Crusaders will return to Worcester, for a 5:35 p.m. game against Villanova on Monday, Feb. 26.