Crusaders Drop Series Opener At Mercer, 12-4
|Left On Base||7||12|
MACON, Ga. – The Holy Cross baseball team fell to Mercer in the first of three games with the Bears, 12-4, on Sunday night at OrthoGeorgia Park.
Freshman Cam Meyer helped lead the Crusaders’ (1-6) offense, batting 2-for-2 with a run scored and an RBI. Senior Thomas Russo hit 2-for-3 on the night, while classmate Cam O'Neill hit 1-for-4 with a run scored. Freshman Peter Dudunakis and sophomore Chris Rinaldi also crossed the plate for Holy Cross. Mercer (9-2) was led by JT Thomas, who batted 3-for-4 with four runs scored and four RBIs. Brandon Michie also turned in a strong performance for the Bears, hitting 2-for-5 with three RBIs and two runs scored.
Austin Cox earned the win on the mound for Mercer, allowing three runs in 6.0 innings pitched while throwing nine strikeouts. Junior Pat McGowan was credited with the loss, allowing five runs in 4.0 innings pitched while tossing three strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mercer was first on the board in the third inning, as Michie brought in two runners with a double down the right field line, and Thomas hit a two-run homer to left field.
- After the Bears added another run in the fourth, the Crusaders responded in the top of the fifth with two runs. Meyer brought in the first run with an RBI single, then added another as he found his way home on a wild pitch.
- Mercer increased its lead in the fifth, bring home three runners with the bases loaded.
- In the top of the sixth, sophomore Riley Livingston brought home another run for Holy Cross with a sacrifice fly to right field.
- After the Bears added a ninth run in the sixth, Dudunakis crossed the plate for the Crusaders in the top of the seventh as O’Neill hit into a double play.
- Mercer added the final runs of the game in the bottom of the seventh, tallying three runs on three hits.
- Holy Cross returns to action tomorrow, as the Crusaders play Mercer in a doubleheader beginning at 3:00 p.m. in Macon, Ga.