Holy Cross Falls Short To Bucknell In Patriot League Quarterfinals, 67-53
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Sophomore Lauren Manis and senior Tricia Byrne both scored in double figures as the Holy Cross women’s basketball team fell to Bucknell in the Patriot League Quarterfinals on Monday night at Sojka Pavilion.
Manis earned her 10th double-double of the season, posting 17 points and 12 rebounds with four blocks for the Crusaders (13-18). Byrne added 16 points with four rebounds and three steals while shooting 6-for-9 from the field. Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed finished the game with seven points while adding three steals. Bucknell (22-8) was led by Kaitlyn Slagus, who tallied 15 points with 13 rebounds while shooting 5-for-9. Kyi English and Kate Walker both finished the game with 13 points. Manis’ 10 double-doubles this season tie with Kathy Courtney ‘97 for eighth-most all-time. She also tallied 273 rebounds on the year to rank seventh all-time. Thomas-Waheed finished her career with 1,345 career points, ranking her 14th all-time in program history.
Bucknell shot 47.9% (23-48) from the field, while the Crusaders shot 30.2% (19-63). From three-point range, Holy Cross held the edge at 45.0% (9-20) as the Bison shot 23.1% (3-13). Bucknell shot 72.0% (18-25) from the free throw line, while the Crusaders shot 60% (6-10).
WOMAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES
- Following the game, Byrne was selected as the Woman of the Match presented the United States Marines.
- She posted 16 points with four rebounds and three assists while shooting 6-for-9 from the field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bucknell scored the first three field goals of the contest and outscored the Crusaders 12-7 through the first frame.
- The Bison led by as many as seven in the second quarter, but Manis notched three-straight three pointers to help Holy Cross outscore Bucknell 20-16 in the frame to make it a one-point game before halftime.
- In the third quarter, the Bison responded and held the Crusaders to nine points while posting 14, giving them a six point lead heading into the final frame.
- Holy Cross came within three points in the fourth, but were unable to pull ahead of Bucknell as the Bison put together a 12-1 run late in the game to secure the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Bison held the edge in the paint, outscoring Holy Cross 40-12.
- Bucknell held a narrow edge in rebounding, 39-34.
- Despite the close score throughout the game, the Bison held the lead for the entire game after scoring the first basket two seconds into the opening quarter.
- The 2017-2018 season has concluded.