Holy Cross Takes 10-5 Setback To Georgia Southern Wednesday
|Left On Base||6||5|
STATESBORO, Ga. – Sophomore Austin Masel scored a pair of runs, but the Holy Cross baseball team took a 10-5 loss to Georgia Southern on Wednesday night.
Masel led the Crusaders’ (2-8) offense, hitting 1-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI. Senior Thomas Russo hit 1-for-2 and added a run scored, while junior Kellen McCormick went 1-for-4 with an RBI. Sophomore Chris Rinaldi and freshman Zach Buck also crossed the plate for Holy Cross. Mason Mcwhorter went 2-for-4 with three runs scored and a pair of RBIs to lead Georgia Southern’s (7-6) offense. Chandler Corley also turned in a strong performance, batting 1-for-4 while posting two RBIs and a run scored.
Braxton Johns earned the win for the Eagles, allowing no runs with one hit through 2.2 innings of relief. Freshman Garret Keough was credited with the loss after allowing four runs on three hits through 3.0 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holy Cross got off to a strong start in the first inning, adding three runs on one hit. Russo was the first to cross the plate off a wild pitch. Senior Cam O’Neill then brought home Rinaldi on a ground out before McCormick hit an RBI single to scored Masel.
- Georgia Southern responded in the bottom of the first, as they added four runs on three hits to take control of the lead.
- After the Crusaders held the Eagles without a hit through the next three innings, Georgia Southern extended its lead in the fifth by adding five more runs off two hits.
- After the Eagles added their 10th run in the seventh, Masel hit a solo home run for his second of the season in the first at-bat of the eighth.
- Holy Cross added another run in the ninth as freshman Peter Dudunakis hit an RBI ground out to bring home Buck, but the Crusaders were unable to close the deficit further.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Friday, March 9, as the Crusaders take on Charleston Southern in the first of three games on the weekend in Charleston, S.C. at 6:00 p.m.