Women's Lacrosse Defeated By Richmond, 11-4
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team was defeated by Richmond, 11-4, at Kuzniewski Field on March 12.
Keely Connors started the Crusaders (2-6) scoring and tallied three goals in the first half. Both teams played well defensively as the first 30 minutes ended with a 5-3 advantage for Richmond (5-1). The Crusaders recorded 19 shots in the first half and Richmond had 14.
Richmond tallied five goals in the second half before Connors struck for Holy Cross for the final time. The Spiders added a goal with 1:46 to play to finish with an 11-4 lead.
First Half | HC 3 UR 5
- Holy Cross scored all three of their first half goals on free position shots.
- After the Crusaders took a 1-0 lead, Richmond responded a little over a minute later to even the score by way of Aly Fries.
- Nearly 16 minutes later, Kim Egizi took the lead for Richmond.
- Connors knotted the game at 2-2, 35 seconds later.
- Richmond took back the lead, 3-2, at 8:03 from Marissa Brown.
- Connors struck a third time to even the game yet again at 5:07.
- Richmond added two more goals before the close of the half at 3:37 and 1:06.
Second Half | HC 4 UR 11
- Richmond went on a five-goal run in the second half, starting at 16:46 from Julia Schmuckler. At 16:02 Katie Sciandra added to the lead, 7-3.
- Brown completed her hat trick with two goals at 8:44 and 4:56.
- Schmuckler tallied the tenth Spider goal at 3:24.
- Connors posted her fourth goal of the game on a free position shot at 2:53 to boost the Crusader offense to four goals.
- Richmond’s Sciandra completed the game with her third of the day at 1:46.
- Keely Connors scored all four goals for the Crusaders.
- Connors’ four goals marks a season-high for the junior attacker.
- Julia Maloney made a season-high 11 saves.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross tallied 29 shots to Richmond’s 32.
- The Spiders and Crusaders each picked up 25 ground balls.
- Holy Cross collected eight draw controls while Richmond tallied nine.
Holy Cross will open Patriot League play when they host Lafayette on March 17 at Kuzniewski Field at 1:00 p.m.