Softball Downs Fordham, Drops One to UMass Lowell
BRONX, N.Y. - The Holy Cross softball team defeated Fordham, 7-6, in extra innings and lost to UMass Lowell, 6-0, in the first two games of the Fordham Tournament. Seniors Gabby Muniz and Mandy McCarthy both had one homerun on two RBIs each against the Rams to lead the team in the victory.
- Senior Savannah Young got the Crusaders started in the fifth with a double to left field.
- Muniz stepped to bat and hit her first homerun of the season to send Young home and give the Crusaders a 2-1 lead.
With the Rams up 5-2, Holy Cross scored four runs in the seventh inning to take the lead:
- Muniz and sophomore Sydney Behrens both singled.
- Junior Jackie Brewster doubled to left center and sent Muniz and Behrens home to record two RBIs.
- With Brewster on second, senior Mandy McCarthy hit her second home run of the season and recorded two RBIs. This put the Crusaders up 7-6.
- The Rams would score one run to tie the game and send it to extra innings.
- With junior Taylor Wahler on third, senior Taylor Moss singled through the right side and sent Wahler home to put Holy Cross up 7-6.
- Senior Katy Watson came in to close the game in the seventh. The senior pitcher recorded two strikeouts and got the win. She is 3-5 on the season.
- Watson pitched against the River Hawks. The senior had nine strikeouts and is 3-5 on the season.
The Crusaders will continue play at Fordham with two games on March 18 against Detroit Mercy at 1:30 p.m. and Seton Hall at 4 p.m.