Crusaders Split Final Games at Fordham Tournament
BRONX, N.Y. - The Holy Cross softball team split their final two games of the Fordham Tournament. Against Detroit Mercy, the Crusaders won, 6-4 in extra innings, with senior Mandy McCarthy leading the team with a game-winning homerun and three RBIs. Holy Cross dropped their last game against Seton Hall, 7-4 in extra innings, with junior Jackie Brewster going 4-4 and notching one RBI.
- Holy Cross got the scoring started with a single from McCarthy to send Brewster home.
- Senior Gabby Muniz, sophomore Molly Neil and sophomore Sydney Behrens were all on base as Brewster reached first on an error by the Detriot Mercy shortstop. Both Muniz and Neil scored unearned runs.
- Freshman Bella Jankowski hit a sacrifice fly to send Behrens home and recorded an RBI.
- With the game tied after the seventh inning, Brewster started the eighth inning on second base.
- Jankowski hit a sacrifice fly to send Brewster to third base.
- McCarthy stepped up to the bat and hit a homerun to send Brewster home. With the two runs, the Crusaders went up 6-4 and were able to close out the bottom of the eighth.
- Holy Cross scored one run in the third inning with a hit and RBI from Brewster and a run off of second by Muniz.
- McCarthy advanced to second base off a sacrifice bunt by sophomore Sydney Burr.
- Senior Taylor Moss singled to right field and tallied and RBI sending McCarthy home.
- After the sixth inning, Holy Cross was up 2-1.
- In the top of the seventh, Seton Hall recorded three runs to take a 4-2 lead.
- The Crusaders would tie the game with two runs from freshman Alyssa Gutierrez and Brewster. McCarthy and Jankowski both recorded an RBI.
- Seton Hall would scored three runs in the eighth inning and hold Holy Cross to zero to secure the win.
FORDHAM TOURNAMENT HIGHLIGHTS:
- Moss went 4-11 with two RBIs and recorded a .363 total batting average.
- McCarthy went 5-15 with six RBIs, two homeruns and a .333 average.
- Brewster recorded a 1.000 fielding percentage through 34 innings. She also went 6-13 with three RBIs and a .461 average.
- Senior Katy Watson pitched 10.2 innings and notched two wins on the weekend. She allowed sevens runs, had four strikeouts and a 0.00 ERA.
Holy Cross will start Patriot League play in Easton, Pa. to face Lafayette on March 24 at 12 and 2 p.m. and March 25 at 12 p.m.