Women's Lacrosse Edged By Colgate, 9-8
HAMILTON, N.Y. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team narrowly fell to Colgate, 9-8.
The Crusaders (3-7, 1-1 Patriot League) scored the first goal of the game before the Raiders (6-3, 1-1 Patriot League) tallied two goals to take a lead. Holy Cross evened things up but Colgate added a pair of goals to take a 4-2 lead nearly halfway through the first half. The Crusaders added a final goal in the first half before the Raiders went on a four goal run heading into the second half.
Holy Cross outscored Colgate, 5-2, in the second half with both Raiders goals coming on free position shots. The five goal second half was not enough for Holy Cross to complete the comeback and narrowly fell, 9-8.
• The Crusaders saw seven different goal scorers.
• Holy Cross took 10 draw controls, to Colgate’s nine.
• Emily DeMaso led the Crusaders with four cause turnovers. The team totaled 13 caused turnovers.
First Half | HC 3 Colgate 7
• Keely Connors scored at 28:14 on an unassisted tally.
• Colgate recorded back-to-back goals in less than 30 seconds to take a 2-1 lead at 24:49 and 24:26.
• Holy Cross responded from Baker Earl, assisted by Molly Pfaff at 21:24.
• The Raiders posted another two goals at 16:27 and 14:27 to take a 4-2 lead.
• Catherine Guanci added the final Crusader goal of the half at 9:13 to push the game within one.
• Colgate rifled off three goals to close the half at 6:45, 5:45, and 3:17.
Second Half | HC 8 Colgate 9
• The Raiders opened the second half scoring at 19:41 on a free position shot.
• Holy Cross scored three-straight goals from Maggie Moriarty at 18:28, Kerianne Moran at 17:51, and Riley Bergholtz at 13:58.
• Colgate snapped the Holy Cross run with a free position goal at 6:51.
• At 4:42, Bryn Carroll scored to push the score to 8-6.
• Keely Connors scored her 20th goal of the season at 4:07, assisted by Carroll to put the Crusaders within one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Holy Cross outshot Colgate, 26-18.
• The Crusaders picked up 26 ground balls and the Raiders picked up 30.
• Holy Cross recorded four saves while Colgate recorded eight.
Holy Cross will take on Army on March 26 at Kuzniewski Field at 6:05 p.m. for another Patriot League game.