Baseball Splits Doubleheader With Navy Saturday
|Left On Base||8||11|
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Holy Cross baseball team split its doubleheader with Navy on Saturday afternoon, winning game one 3-1 in 11 innings before falling 5-1 in game two.
Three different Crusaders crossed the plate as Holy Cross (6-9, 1-1) earned the win in game one. Sophomore Riley Livingston batted 2-for-5 and scored a run, while senior Cam O'Neill hit 1-for-3 with a run scored. Freshman Garret Keough also scored for the Crusaders while pinch running. Sophomore Chris Rinaldi notched the lone RBI for Holy Cross while going 0-for-4 at the plate. None of the Midshipmen (18-6, 4-2) batters registered multiple hits, and Logan Knowles earned the only run for Navy, while Jacob Williamson had the only RBI.
Junior Danny Barlok picked up his second win of the season to improve to 2-0 on the year, pitching 4.1 scoreless innings while earning six strikeouts. Junior Pat McGowan pitched 6.2 innings while allowing one run and throwing seven strikeouts. Jared Leins took the loss for the Midshipmen, allowing two runs (one earned) in 4.0 innings with six strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Navy got the scoring started in the first inning, as Knowles found his way home on a fielder’s choice play.
- The Crusaders responded in the fourth inning, adding a run to tie up the game. O’Neill found his way home from third as Rinaldi grounded out to second base.
- Navy loaded the bases in the eighth inning, but Barlok notched two strikeouts and forced the final batter to fly out to escape the inning.
- Holy Cross broke the tie in the top of the 11th, as Livingston scored on a throwing error and Keough crossed the plate following a wild pitch.
|Left On Base||9||4|
Rinaldi helped to lead the offense for Holy Cross in game two, as he batted 2-for-3 with a run scored. Sophomore Jared Enders hit 1-for-4 and notched the only RBI of the game for the Crusaders. Navy was led by Stephen Born, who hit 2-for-4 with a pair of runs scored and an RBI. Evan Lowery also notched a pair of hits and added an RBI, while Zach Biggers brought in two runs while hitting 1-for-4.
Keough took the loss for Holy Cross, allowing three runs on four hits through 7.0 innings pitched. Sean Kamhoot earned the win for the Midshipmen, pitching 8.0 scoreless innings while notching nine strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Navy was the first team on the board in the fourth inning, as the Midshipmen added two runs on three hits. Born scored on an RBI single from Williamson, who then crossed the plate once Lowery hit an RBI single in the next at-bat.
- In the eighth inning, the Midshipmen added three more runs while tallying four hits. Born, Knowles and Michael Coritz each crossed the plate in the inning.
- Holy Cross added their only run of the game in the ninth inning, as Enders hit an RBI double to bring home Rinaldi.
Holy Cross returns to action tomorrow, March 25, as the Crusaders take on Bucknell in a doubleheader in Lewisburg, Pa. at 12:00 p.m.