Crusaders Sweep Doubleheader At Lehigh To Open Series
|Left On Base||5||4|
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Holy Cross baseball team earned a pair of wins in its doubleheader with Lehigh on Saturday, taking game one 4-2 before grabbing an 11-4 victory in game two.
The Crusaders (9-11, 4-2) tallied a pair of runs in the eighth inning to help seal the win in game one with the Mountain Hawks (11-14, 1-4). Sophomore Chris Rinaldi led the offense for Holy Cross, hitting 3-for-4 with a run scored and two RBIs. Sophomores Austin Masel and Jared Enders, along with senior Cam O'Neill, also crossed the plate. Lehigh was led by Chris Kersey, who hit 3-for-4 with a run scored.
Junior Danny Barlok improved to 3-0 on the season, as he pitched 2.2 scoreless innings in relief and allowed just one hit. Junior Pat McGowan allowed two runs on four hits during the first 5.1 innings of play. Ethan Frohman took the loss for the Mountain Hawks, allowing a pair of runs on two hits in one inning of relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holy Cross got the scoring started in the second inning with a pair of runs. Rinaldi hit an RBI single to score O’Neill from third before he found his way across the plate on an RBI double from freshman Cam Meyer.
- McGowan and the Crusaders’ defense allowed just one hit through five innings before Lehigh added two runs on three hits in the sixth to tie the game up.
- Holy Cross broke the tie in the top of the eighth, as sophomore Riley Livingston hit an RBI single to score Masel before Rinaldi hit an RBI double to bring home Enders.
|Left On Base||13||5|
The Crusaders tallied the most hits in a single game as a team in five years, as they earned an 11-4 victory over the Mountain Hawks in game two. Five different batters posted three hits in the win, while four more notched two in the win. Masel and junior Alex Gionis led the team with three runs scored each, while junior Kellen McCormick led Holy Cross with four RBIs. Four different players crossed the plate for Lehigh, while Mike Maguire led the team with two RBIs. The 23 hits for the Crusaders marked the most for Holy Cross since April 7, 2013, when the team posted 30 in a win over Lafayette.
Freshman Liam Dvorak improved to 2-1 on the season, pitching 5.2 scoreless innings in relief and allowing no hits while adding four strikeouts. Peter Moore took the loss for the Mountain Hawks, allowing six runs on seven hits in 1.1 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first inning, Holy Cross took a 2-0 lead as Livingston notched a pair of RBIs with a single to score Masel and senior Thomas Russo.
- The Crusaders kept the offense rolling in the second with four more runs on four hits, which included a double from Enders and a triple from Masel.
- After Lehigh added its first run off an error in the bottom of the second, Holy Cross added two more runs on four hits in the third.
- The Mountain Hawks cut the deficit again by scoring twice in the bottom of the third before adding another run in the fourth. With the bases loaded in the fourth, the Crusaders turned a double play to end the inning.
- McCormick brought in two runners with a single in the fifth, then helped cap off the team’s scoring in the seventh with an RBI single following a leadoff triple from Masel.
- Holy Cross returns to action tomorrow, April 1, as the Crusaders close their series at Lehigh in the final game at 12:00 p.m.