Holy Cross Tops Navy 3-2 In Walk-Off Fashion In Extra Innings
|Left On Base||13||8|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross baseball team finished off their weekend series with Navy by defeating the Midshipmen 3-2 with a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning.
Senior Cam O’Neill notched the game-winning RBI for the Crusaders (11-13, 6-4) with his lone hit on the day in the bottom of the 10th inning to secure the win over Navy (25-9, 9-5). Freshman David Kale went 2-for-4 at the plate with a run scored, while sophomore Jared Enders also registered two hits and drove in a run. Freshman Cam Meyer crossed the plate twice while batting 1-for-3, and sophomore Austin Masel went 1-for-4 with an RBI. Zach Biggers helped lead the offense for the Midshipmen, batting 2-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI.
Junior Danny Barlok picked up his fourth win of the season, pitching 4.2 scoreless innings in relief while posting nine strikeouts. Junior Declan Cronin allowed two runs through 5.1 innings and added eight strikeouts. Charlie Connolly was credited with the loss after allowing one run after earning one out through four batters faced.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Navy opened up the scoring with two runs in the top of the fifth. Michael Coritz hit a double with a shot down the third base line, after a fielder’s choice moved him to third base. Biggers then hit a single up the middle to send the runner home. Born hit a double down the third base line to score Biggers, giving Navy their second run of the inning.
- Holy Cross managed to tie the game up in the bottom of the sixth, bringing home two runs on three hits. Enders brought home Kale with a sacrifice fly to right field before Masel struck a double to send Meyer home from first base.
- The Midshipmen had the bases loaded in the eighth, but Barlok earned a strikeout and forced the final batter to fly out to end the inning.
- Holy Cross earned the victory in the 10th inning. With the bases loaded and one out, O’Neill crushed a deep single to left field to send home the game-winning run.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, April 11, as the Crusaders play host to Rhode Island at 5:05 p.m.