Women's Lacrosse Falls To Lehigh, 15-11
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team was defeated by Lehigh, 15-11, on Saturday at Kuzniewski Field.
The Mountain Hawks (9-5, 4-2 PL) jumped out to a 3-0 lead and then 4-1 lead before the Crusaders (5-9, 3-3 PL) scored five goals to take a 6-5 lead with under ten minutes to play in the first half. Lehigh took a one goal advantage to close the first half, 7-6.
In the second half the teams traded goals before a three goal run from Lehigh at the 23rd minute mark pushed the Mountain Hawks ahead for a final time. The Crusaders continued to pressure, but could not erase the deficit and fell, 15-11.
- Julia Gasbarre scored her first and second collegiate goals.
- Keely Connors tallied her 30th goal of the season, making her the first Crusader to do so since Laura Ryan in 2015.
- Four other Crusaders posted two-goal games: Maggie Moriarty, Connors, Anna Pusey, and Kerianne Moran.
- Julia Maloney recorded a season-high 16 saves and added two ground balls.
- Emma Gill led the Crusaders with three caused turnovers.
First Half | HC 6 Lehigh 7
- To open the game, Lehigh scored three goals at 28:39 from Kellie Gough, 25:59 from Haley Wentzel, and 23:58 from Christine Balestra.
- Keely Connors put the Crusaders on the board at 20:17 with a free position shot.
- The Mountain Hawks took back their three goal lead at 18:32 from Mary Ellen Carron.
- At 15:13, Julia Gasbarre scored her first collegiate goal and was assisted by Maggie Moriarty.
- Moriarty scored a goal of her own at 11:57 to put the game within one, 4-3.
- Lehigh maintained the lead with a goal from Gough at 10:35.
- Holy Cross’ Kerianne Moran scored on a free position shot.
- Keely Connors scored her 30th goal of the season and tied the game at 5-5 with a goal at 7:55.
- Less than one minute later, Gasbarre struck for the second time, with a free position goal at 7:06.
- The Mountain Hawks added the final two goals of the half to take a one goal lead. Julianne Puckette scored at 2:15 and Olivia Kelly at 1:04.
Second Half | HC 11 Lehigh 15
- Lehigh scored two goals to start the second half: Wentzel at 27:28 and Sondra Dickey at 25:43.
- Holy Cross added two goals in 20 seconds. Moran scored at 25:01 and Anna Pusey added her first at 24:41.
- Dickey posted back-to-back goals at 23:26 and 23:06 before Wentzel made it 12-8 at 22:15.
- Baker Earl put the Crusaders within three when she was assisted by Molly Pfaff at 17:20.
- Puckette scored two goals at 14:37 and 12:24 to extend the Mountain Hawk lead, 14-9.
- Pusey scored her second at 8:55.
- Dickey posted the final Lehigh goal at 4:00.
- With 33 seconds to play, Moriarty tallied her second of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Lehigh outshot Holy Cross, 37-28.
- Holy Cross held the edge on draw controls, 15-13.
- Each team had 20 turnovers. Holy Cross caused 15 and Lehigh caused 14.
Holy Cross will play Boston University on the road on April 18 at 7:00 p.m. for a Turnpike Trophy battle.