Baseball Comes Up Short To Army West Point, 6-3
|Left On Base||6||6|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross baseball team (12-15, 6-6) fell to Army West Point (22-14, 12-2) by a score of 6-3 on Wednesday afternoon.
Sophomore Austin Masel went 2-for-4 and scored a run for the Crusaders, while classmate Chris Rinaldi batted 1-for-3 with an RBI. Junior Kellen McCormick and sophomore Jared Enders also crossed the plate for Holy Cross. Jon Rosoff helped lead the offense for the Black Knights, hitting 1-for-3 with 3 RBIs. Josh White also had a strong game at the plate, batting 1-for-2 and scoring a pair of runs.
Cam Opp earned the win for Army West Point, throwing 5.1 innings allowing only four hits and two unearned runs. Jacob Carte picked up a save after allowing no runs in the final inning. Junior Declan Cronin took the loss after throwing 4.1 innings and allowing three runs on two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Black Knights got the scoring started in the top of the fourth inning with a single from Trey Martin to score Rosoff from third base.
- Army added three more runs in the top of the fifth inning with a three-run double by Rosoff down the left field line to clear the bases.
- Rinaldi gave the Crusaders their first run of the game with an RBI single up the middle. Later that inning, senior Cam O’Neill hit a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded to cut the Black Knights’ lead to two.
- With Drake Titus on third base, Anthony Giachin hit a single to right field for the Black Knights in the eighth inning to increase their lead to three.
- In the bottom of the eighth inning, Masel began the inning with a double to right field and moved to third on a wild pitch. Senior Thomas Russo then hit a sacrifice fly to send Masel to the plate.
- Army capped off the scoring in the ninth, as Jacob Hurtubise hit a squeeze bunt with a runner on third to help secure the 6-3 advantage.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Saturday, April 21, as the Crusaders face Lafayette in Easton, Pa. with a doubleheader beginning at 12:05 p.m.