Women's Lacrosse Downs American, 12-10
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team defeated American, 12-10, at Kuzniewski Field on Senior Day.
The Crusaders (6-10, 4-4 PL) got on the board 45 seconds into the game and even extended their lead to 4-1 midway through the first half. American (3-12, 0-7 PL) pestered to put up three goals in the final 10 minutes of the half. Holy Cross held a 6-4 advantage at the half, but American kicked off a three goal run to start the second half.
With 23:02 to play in regulation, American took an 8-7 lead over Holy Cross. The Crusaders scored two quick goals to take back the lead and outscored the Eagles 5-2 in the final 22 minutes of action to win the game, 12-10.
The Crusaders went 18-19 on the clear. Holy Cross held American to 19 clears on 28 attempts.
Keely Connors posted a game-high nine draw controls and added a hat trick.
With five ground balls and four caused turnovers, Audrey Mandaro continues to lead the Crusaders.
Maggie Moriarty recorded a career-high four assists.
First Half | HC 6 AU 4
- Baker Earl scored at 29:15 on a play assisted by Maggie Moriarty.
- American evened the game at 28:19.
- Earl tallied her second of the day on a free position shot at 24:58.
- At 21:04 Bryn Carroll scored her 15th of the season and added an assist a little over four minutes later when Shannon Dudeck scored to put Holy Cross ahead, 4-1.
- American added a goal at 10:51.
- Molly Pfaff scored at 10:03.
- American contained the Crusaders lead to 5-3 at 9:42.
- Kerianne Moran posted a free position shot at 7:14.
- American closed the first half scoring at 1:19.
Second Half | HC 12 AU 10
- The Eagles fired off three goals to start the second half at 29:31, 26:37, and 25:44 to take a 7-6 lead.
- Carroll scored her second of the day to knot the game at 7-7. Moriarty added an assist on the goal.
- At 23:02, American topped the Crusaders again, 8-7.
- Keely Connors found the back of the net for the first time of the game at 22:11, assisted by Moriarty.
- Connors tallied the go-ahead goal at 20:33, 9-8.
- Riley Bergholtz was assisted by Moriarty at 18:46 to give Holy Cross a two-goal lead.
- Izzy Grant scored her third of the season at 16:24.
- American attempted to close the Crusader lead with goals at 6:14 and 4:58 to push the game to 11-10.
- Connors solidified the game with an unassisted goal at 3:17.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross outshot American, 47-21.
- The Crusaders picked up 31 ground balls to American’s 19.
- At the draw, Holy Cross won 18 and American won six.
- The Crusaders caused 16 turnovers.
The Crusaders sit in a tie for fifth place with a 4-4 league record. Holy Cross is tied with Colgate, with Army one game behind. Holy Cross is still in the running for a playoff berth, but unable to clinch until the final game of the season.
UP NEXTHoly Cross will play their regular season finale at No. 8 Loyola on April 28 at 1:00 p.m.