Crusaders Split Sunday's Doubleheader With Army West Point
|Left On Base||3||7|
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross baseball team (16-20, 10-10) earned a 5-3 victory over Army West Point (26-19, 15-6) in game two after falling 4-0 in game one against the Black Knights on Sunday afternoon.
Senior Cam O'Neill led the offense for the Crusaders in game one, batting 2-for-3. Sophomores Riley Livingston and Chris Rinaldi also posted hits for Holy Cross. Jacob Hurtubise batted 2-for-3 and scored a pair of runs for Army West Point, while Josh White and Drake Titus each registered a run scored and an RBI.
Junior Declan Cronin was credited with the loss after allowing four runs on 10 hits in 4.2 innings. Daniel Burggraaf earned the win, pitching seven scoreless innings while posting nine strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Black Knights added their first run of the game in the third inning, as White hit a sacrifice fly to bring home Hurtubise after he led off the inning with a triple.
- In the fourth, Army West Point extended its lead with a solo home run from Titus to make it a 2-0 game.
- The Black Knights added two runs in the fifth off an RBI single from Jon Rosoff and a sacrifice fly from John McKenna to make it 4-0.
- Holy Cross was held to just one hit in the final three innings.
|Left On Base||5||5|
Rinaldi posted three runs scored while batting 1-for-3 in game two for the Crusaders. O’Neill hit 2-for-3 and added a run scored and a pair of RBIs. Livingston also had a solid game at the plate, batting 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI. Matt Hudgins led Army West Point with a pair of hits, while three different players crossed the plate for the Black Knights.
Junior Danny Barlok picked up the win after allowing three runs in six innings of relief while posting nine strikeouts. Carter Van Gystenbeek took the loss for Army West Point, allowing three runs in three innings of relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crusaders were the first team on the board in the fourth inning, adding two runs on one hit. O’Neill sent Rinaldi home with a sacrifice fly before Livingston notched his second home run of the season to give Holy Cross a 2-0 advantage.
- The Black Knights responded in the fifth inning with two runs on three hits to tie the game.
- In the top of the sixth, the Crusaders regained the lead as junior Kellen McCormick hit an RBI double to send Rinaldi across the plate.
- Holy Cross extended its lead with two more runs in the eighth, as O’Neill posted his sixth homer of the year with a two-run blast to make it 5-2.
- Army West Point added a run in the eighth with a solo home run from Anthony Giachin, but the Black Knights would get no closer to closing the gap.
- Holy Cross will now face Bucknell at home on Tuesday, May 1, in a makeup for the cancelled game against the Bison earlier in the season. The Crusaders will take on Bucknell at Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field at 5:35 p.m.