Women's Lacrosse Drops Overtime Decision At Lehigh in Patriot League Quarterfinal, 16-15.
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team fell in overtime, 16-15, in the Patriot League Quarterfinal game.
Holy Cross (6-12, 4-5 PL) started the game with a three goal run that kept Lehigh (13-5, 7-2 PL) at bay until more than midway through the first half. Lehigh rattled off five goals before Holy Cross scored again. The Crusaders shrank the Mountain Hawk lead to one goal before Lehigh went on a two-goal run to close the half, 7-4.
To start the second half, Holy Cross erased the first half deficit and tied the game, 8-8, at 21:47. Baker Earl completed a hat trick, scoring two goals in 34 seconds. Lehigh took off on a five goal run, but the Crusaders outscored the Mountain Hawks 5-3 in the final half of the game. The Crusaders tallied two goals in the final 49 seconds to push the game into overtime, 15-15.
With 13 seconds remaining in overtime, Lehigh scored to win, 16-15.
Keely Connors marked a career-high with 14 draw controls.
Bryn Carroll scored four goals for a career-high.
Baker Earl netted a hat trick.
Izzy Grant netted two goals, including the game-tying goal with five seconds remaining.
Connors and Catherine Guanci posted two-goal games.
FIRST HALF | HC 4 Lehigh 7
- Holy Cross kicked off the game with a three goal run, started by Keely Connors assisted by Maggie Moriarty at 26:52. Moriarty fired off another goal for the Crusaders at 25:14. Bryn Carroll ripped a goal of her own at 18:58, assisted by Molly Pfaff.
- Lehigh scored five goals in less than ten minutes, starting at 13:44.
- Baker Earl recorded a goal at 4:24 to put the Crusaders within one, 5-4. Earl was assisted Moriarty.
- At 4:10 and 0:49, Lehigh added two more goals to take a 7-4 lead.
SECOND HALF/OT | HC 15 Lehigh 16
- In the first 10 minutes of the second half, Holy Cross outscored Lehigh, 4-1. Carroll netted her second goal at 28:57. Earl completed her hat trick with two goals in 34 seconds (24:12, 23:38). Connors put up her second of the day at 21:47 to knot the score at 8-8.
- Lehigh went on a five goal run to take their largest lead of the game at 13-9.
- The Crusaders outscored Lehigh 5-3 in the final 13 and a half minutes. Kerianne Moran netted her 22nd goal of the season followed by Izzy Grant.
- Catherine Guanci fired off two goals in 44 seconds, scoring at 12:00 and 11:16.
- Carroll completed her hat trick at 2:59 and tallied her fourth of the game at 0:49.
- Grant scored her second goal of the day with five seconds remaining to send the game into overtime.
- Lehigh’s Kellie Gough scored with 13 seconds remaining in the first overtime.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross and Lehigh tied in shots, 35-35.
- Julia Maloney made 13 saves and Lehigh recorded 9.
- The Crusaders posted 22 draw controls to the Mountain Hawks’ 13.
- Holy Cross went 20-21 on the clear.
- Holy Cross went 3-3 on free position shots.