Worcester Country Club
The Worcester Country Club was officially named the home course for the Holy Cross men’s and women’s golf programs prior to the start of the 2016-2017 season.
Originally founded in 1900, the Worcester Country Club had its course designed to stretch over 6,650 yards and play to a par of 70 by renowned architect Donald J. Ross, who personally oversaw the design and construction. One unusual feature is the five par threes, which make the course play longer and tougher than the yardage indicates.
The course was opened in 1914, with the first drive being taken by former United States President William Howard Taft. It served as the host site for the 1925 Men’s U.S. Open and the 1960 Women’s U.S. Open, and is also known for hosting the inaugural Ryder Cup in 1927. Worcester Country Club was the first golf club to host each of these premier men’s, women’s and international tournaments, and it remains as one of only two golf courses in the United States to host all three events.
Length: 6,650 yards
Address: 2 Rice Street, Worcester, Mass. 01606