Women's Ice Hockey Announces Schedule For 2017-2018 Season
WORCESTER, Mass. - Holy Cross director of athletics Nathan Pine and head women’s ice hockey coach Peter Van Buskirk have announced the team’s schedule for the 2017-2018 season. The Crusaders will host 15 games at the newly renovated Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex and travel for 15 away games. Holy Cross will compete against numerous Division I programs and teams from the New England Hockey Conference. The Crusaders will not have a designated conference for competition this season as they begin their transition from the New England Hockey Conference to Hockey East in the 2018-2019 season.
“This will be a great challenge for us,” said Van Buskirk. “All of the Hockey East games are certainly big challenges for the team. I’m hoping we get a good idea of how fast the game is played at that level and improve our skill set.”
SEASON BEGINS WITH HOCKEY EAST COMPETITION
- The first game of the season will be against Maine, a member of Hockey East, as the Crusaders will travel to compete against the Black Bears Sept. 22.
- Holy Cross will then host two Canadian teams for exhibition games: Laurentian College Sept. 24 and Nepean Sept. 30.
- The first regular season series takes place from Oct. 6-7 as the Crusaders take on RIT in Worcester.
- The Crusaders will then travel to Hanover, N.H. to face Dartmouth Oct.13.
- Holy Cross will face another Hockey East opponent in New Hampshire Oct. 14.
- The Chinese National team will travel to Worcester to play Holy Cross Oct. 18.
FOUR ROAD GAMES IN NOVEMBER
- After a two week rest, the Crusaders will travel to Saint Michael’s to play two games against the Purple Knights Nov. 3-4.
- Holy Cross will then welcome Sacred Heart for a two-game series Nov. 11-12.
- As November continues, the Crusaders will travel to Cambridge to face Harvard Nov. 17, and then the teams will meet again back at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex Nov. 18.
- The Crusaders will travel after Thanksgiving to Dartmouth Nov. 24 and Franklin Pierce Dec. 1.
SKATING INTO THE NEW YEAR
- The second matchup against Franklin Pierce will be in Worcester Dec. 2.
- The Crusaders will travel to Saint Anselm Dec. 8 before hosting five home games after the winter holidays.
- Holy Cross will welcome Post Jan. 5-6 for the first two games of 2018.
- Saint Anselm will then play the Crusaders Jan. 13, and Saint Michael’s will come to Worcester for a two-game series Jan. 20-21.
- The January games conclude with two away matches at Sacred Heart Jan. 26-27.
FINAL PUSH IN FEBRUARY
- The Crusaders will play Post Feb. 2-3 in Waterbury, Conn.
- The final four games leading up to the Open Championship include two home and two away games with Franklin Pierce and Saint Anselm. The Crusaders will host the Ravens Feb. 9 and then travel to Franklin Pierce Feb. 10.
- The last home game at the Hart Center will be Feb. 16 against Saint Anselm. The Crusaders will end the regular season on the road against the Hawks Feb. 17.
- The Open Championship will begin Feb. 23 at Franklin Pierce. The top eight eligible teams will advance to the final-four style tournament that takes place over two weekends.