Men's Soccer Defeats Bucknell
|Shots on Goal||10||1|
WORCESTER, Mass. - The men's soccer team defeated Bucknell Saturday afternoon 2-1. After dropping a goal in the first half, the Crusaders worked back to capture two goals and hold off the Bison.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bucknell started off strong scoring in the 20th minute. After a Bison corner, the Crusaders were not able to clear the ball out of the box. Bernie Wright scored off of a rebounded ball at the top of the box. The shot hit the left post and into the back of the net.
- The rest of the first half was quiet with only three shots from Holy Cross and four shots from Bucknell.
- The Crusaders came out and scored in the 54th minute of the second half. Freshman Sean Merrick made a run down the right plank and served a lofted ball to the back post to find senior Arno Rupp. Rupp timed the ball perfectly with a diving header past Bucknell's keeper.
- The second half was competitive between both teams with 14 fouls for Holy Cross and 11 for Bucknell. There were six yellow cards distributed in the second half: three for the Crusaders and three for the Bison.
- With 20 minutes left in the second, junior Tyler Bell dribbled the ball down the left side of the box, chipped a pass to himself and found Rupp across the box for the easy tap-in goal to put the Crusaders up 2-1.
- Holy Cross would defend for the rest of the half and take the win 2-1 over the Bison.
The Crusaders will host their Cancer Awareness game next Tuesday, Oct. 10 against Rhode Island.